Simple question concerning sound - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #31
Major Player

I honestly must say that the information given here is amazing. It is truly an honor just to be able to talk with some of the best and most knowledgeable people in the film and video industry. I could not have learned any of this without your help. It amazes me sometimes to realize that the very people I talk to in this forum produce, edit, and film or have taken part in some TV program I watched, movie I went to see or wrote a book I plan to read. How many people can say they talked to the guy who wrote a book on a subject? This opportunity is priceless.

Jack, thanks for the recommendations. I told my friend about Audacity and he downloaded it but hasn't had time to experiment.

Chris, thanks for your post. What you say is very true. I hope with the books you have suggested it will become clearer and I will be able to understand and ask more critical questions thus making better equipment decisions as well.

Gary, how awesome is that! I will certainly be Dean's book.

-Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #32
Major Player

Terry... good luck on your audio learning adventure. There is SOO much to learn and know, but the journey can be fun and the results are easy to hear ! Remember good audio is a huge part of a good visual presentation.... almost sounds oxymoronish, doesn't it? It's true though.

One nice thing about Dean's book, as well as Ty's is that you get very useful hints on using a mixer and setting it up. So once you get your initial "sea legs" your next step will have a jump start. Dean's book gives very good advice on rigging lavaliers as well.

On that note... not a book but a great website with good (free) sound information can be accessed here:

Articles about Prod Sound

Not where I recommend you start your journey right off but pretty quickly you will find their info useful. (It was the rigging lav's thought that made me think of this site....glad I did, they keep adding to it.)

Chris

ps. In time you will fall victim to the "which mic is best?" or "or which mixer is best?" arguments on here. That is a place where your new knowledge will be an asset. (It's like the old FORD versus CHEVY arguments of shadetree mechanics... with a few folks who will explain why Rolls Royce is superior - and of course they are right. Always fun though.)

pps. No one agrees on any of those questions mostly.... with exceptions.... (eg. SD302 - that will make sense in time.).

ppps. Dan Brockett had done a number of microphone comparisons where you use YOUR ears to compare... they can be found at www.kenstone.net. (and another THANKS to Dan for the work and help offered.)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio