ATR55 Shotgun Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 21st, 2003, 09:52 PM   #1
New Boot

ATR55 Shotgun Mic

I am considering purchasing this for a shoot. My budget is VERY low, but I do want some nice audio. I will be using it for dialogue. Has anyone used this mic?? Is it decent?
Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:51 PM   #2
Contributor

I used two differerent AT shotgun mics a few years ago, one long shotgun and one short. Both were very good sound quality and comparable to a Shure I had at the time that cost about 3 times as much. I don't recall the number designations, but it seems that AT seems to give you a pretty good sound quality for the money.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Brandon, I had a couple of those a few years ago. I hate to say it, but I'd probably recommend looking elsewhere. If you can put a normal cardiod or omni mic on a stick and get it over or close to the source you'll be a lot happier.

I know you see "shotgun" and think "that's what I need"... but a similar priced handheld mic positioned closer to the source will improve on the sound you'll get with a 55.

Basically a 55 sounds only about as good as the on-camera mic in a sub $1K camera... with the only benefit being that you can get it OFF camera and CLOSE to the source (which greatly improves the sound). Since you should do those two things anyway with ANY mic... just get a decent handheld and get it CLOSER then you planned to get the shotgun.

The "range" on a decent handheld will probably be equal to the 55 anyway so ultimately there is little benefit in the 55 over a decent handheld.

Unfortunately I don't know what handheld to recommend though. Probably a Sure vp58 or something like that, but put up a post for help on "cheap" handhelds... or check the archives. The info's there.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #4
Trustee

I just bough an AKG D230 dynamic ENG mic (handheld) and it sounds fantastic. B&H lists them at below $140 and adorama has them at $120 US.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio