What recorder would send Time Code to Denecke TS-3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What recorder would send Time Code to Denecke TS-3

Hello,

I have the Denecke TS-3 and I am looking to buy a potable recorder that will send time code to the slate.

I was looking at the HD-P2 but it seem that it can only read time code.

TASCAM

Thanks for the help.
Santos Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Generally speaking, a timecode slate is a VIDEO production tool, not really an audio production tool.

The video camera generates the timecode which it simultaneously records to the videotape AND feeds the slate. The slate displays the numbers so there's a visual record of the state of the timecode recorded at the head of each take on your the VIDEO tapes. If you're recording double system, you can FEED that same timecode to the audio tapes to make post sync easier.

I can't think of a circumstance where you'd want slate generated timecode fed to an audio recorder.

I guess you could jam sync a timecode generating audio recorders code to the slate and record that to a non-timecode video camera for visual reference, but you could get the same effect just by turning the camera toward the timecode display of the audio recorder prior to each shot - and then there would be no need for the very expensive TC slate.

Or maybe I'm mis-understanding you.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Trustee

it works either way. A tc slate can drive the show. Pretty common with film shoots. As long as there is a single source of stable tc that feeds everything else it's ok. You could run with the slate as master feeding cams and audio recorder. There is a plugin for fcp that let's you read tc from the audio track for cams without tc I/o
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos Ramos View Post
Hello,

I have the Denecke TS-3 and I am looking to buy a potable recorder that will send time code to the slate.

I was looking at the HD-P2 but it seem that it can only read time code.

TASCAM

Thanks for the help.
You are correct - the Tascam only reads TC but doesn't output it. Take a look at the Sound Devices offerings - the 702t generates and outputs code.
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you!

Tanks to all for the help!

OK, I have never used a TC slate and I got the TS-3 from a friend at a price that I could not say no! I am debating if I should keep the TS-3 and if I will have use for it. I was thinking on getting the audio gear and charge more for services when the client wants to use the slate!
Anyways, is seems that I was confused about the use of the TC slate....I thought it was used to view the time code of the audio recorder at post and be able to sync it( see it in FCP and just sync it to the video)....I am not sure why would you use the slate connected to the video camera?

I guess in film there is still use for it but not much for video?

Thanks for the help!
Santos Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos Ramos View Post
Tanks to all for the help!

OK, I have never used a TC slate and I got the TS-3 from a friend at a price that I could not say no! I am debating if I should keep the TS-3 and if I will have use for it. I was thinking on getting the audio gear and charge more for services when the client wants to use the slate!
Anyways, is seems that I was confused about the use of the TC slate....I thought it was used to view the time code of the audio recorder at post and be able to sync it( see it in FCP and just sync it to the video)....I am not sure why would you use the slate connected to the video camera?

I guess in film there is still use for it but not much for video?

Thanks for the help!
The slate can be handy with broadcast grade cameras but when the camera and the audio recorder can talk to each other, strictly speaking its not needed. But almost all prosumer cameras lack the broadcast camera's provisions for timecode I/O and external sync. There you're more akin to film camera behaviour and having the visual indication of the audio timecode showing on the photographed (videographed?) slate appear in the picture at the start of the shot can make aligning the two in post more convenient. However in neither case is it an absolute necessity. It's mainly for shot logging and housekeeping more than anything else.
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Trustee

right fwiw its still super fast and simple to just aling the slate close visual to the spike in the audio waveform and be done with it. Too many folks worry about tc on simple 1/2/3 can shoots
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I use my Sound Devices 702T to jam a Deneke slate for any productions that require tc slate. Used mostly for film, but also for video productions that want to use time code. The 702T is a great recorder. I never had any problems with it.
Cheers
Jon
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio