Need help with Adobe Audition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with Adobe Audition

I have a problem with some footage I shot with my Canon XH-A1. I had the audio gains turned up too high, so the onboard mic picked up a good deal of camera hum. The hum is persistent and very annoying in the audio track.

I can't reshoot the footage, so my options are limited. Is there anyway in Audition that I can isolate and eliminate the camera hum?
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #2
New Boot

If you can find a section of audio that is just the hum, you can capture this to use as a noise profile, then use Auditions noise reduction.
Frank Hardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought about that and tried to do it, but can not isolate the hum. Is there any other filter or effect that might help?
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake McGlothlin View Post
I thought about that and tried to do it, but can not isolate the hum. Is there any other filter or effect that might help?
Are you sure you are doing it correctly? It usually works very well.

You view the waveform and select a small portion (a second or so) that consists only of the noise you want to remove. Then you open the noise reduction effect and choose "get noise profile" (or something like that). Don't select the whole file first. That defeats the purpose.

After you have the profile, select the whole file. Mess with the options until you get a result you like.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Since it's your camera, you can always go to a quiet room and duplicate the hum without the other noise on the track, and then use that as your noise profile.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Abe, I can't believe I didn't think about that before! That should work perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio