Best all around mic for interviews? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #16
Major Player

I suppose I can get both, a stick mic that the interviewee can hold, and a wireless for when they use both hands to demonstrate something.

I can tell you that the wireless mic would be no problem as far as getting a person to slip it under their shirt, as these people are getting free publicity and they would never turn that away.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Trustee

Dave,

It might be instructive to consider why the on-camera "stick mic" interview has lasted so long.

The benefits are pretty simple.

A - gets great quality
B - quick and simple to rig
C - cheap and easy to operate
D - can record two subjects nearly simultaneously with equal quality
E - allows the interviewer to maintain "control" of the mic.

That's five good reasons that it's the perfect technique when you need ALL those things - and a very, very good one when you judge it against it's weaknesses as a way to get even a few of them.

Consider that on shows like "The Tonight Show" in the "Jaywalking" Jay Leno gig could legitimately throw as many dollars as they like at the problem - and what do they do?

Stick Mic Interviews.

There's a reason some techniques last in the marketplace of ideas.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #18
Tourist

Mics

Can someone tell me if SAMSON QL5 CL mics will do the job for depositions? They are lavalier cardoid and have XLR inputs for phantom power. Will these work well? Thanks all.
Rick Kosberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kosberg View Post
Can someone tell me if SAMSON QL5 CL mics will do the job for depositions? They are lavalier cardoid and have XLR inputs for phantom power. Will these work well? Thanks all.
Omni lavs generally work out better than cardioids. The directivity of a cardioid mic is usually only needed in a sound reinforcement situation where feedback control is a problem. The downside of using them for general recording purposes is that their directivity means that it doesn't take much in terms of head movement to take the wearer noticably off-mic.
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kosberg View Post
To add to what Steve said above, cardioids are best used in very controlled situations by experienced users. (Such as a news stand-up or a pitch-person amidst a crowd with a PA next to her).

When people are not scripted and are not experienced, when they may move around, when the mic placement may not be optimal or the mic might get accidentally moved (and the proceedings can't be stopped to readjust it), etc. an omni would serve much better, I believe.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio