Wireless Mics & Airport Security? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Mics & Airport Security?

Quick question :

Has anyone ever had any problems with wireless microphones getting through US/International airport security in a carry-on? We're shooting a short doc and my producer is concerned about this - but I don't want to throw the wireless kit in the checked luggage (or any equipment...ever). What about filming in an airport with the wireless? We wouldn't have permits, but we're hoping its a small enough and "home-video" like enough production not to have problems - but could there be?

- Zack
Zack Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've never had a problem getting gear thru security but shooting in the airport could be problematic especially once you clear thru security. Why not talk to the airport manager, explain what you're doing and get permission in writing. Thatway when the day to day security people (cops) stop you and ask what you think you're doing you're butt is covered, in writing. Airports today are not a place to try covert operations.
Of course this is just my opinion but then I'm a law abiding guy ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've never had a problem getting gear thru security but shooting in the airport could be problematic especially once you clear thru security. Why not talk to the airport manager, explain what you're doing and get permission in writing. Thatway when the day to day security people (cops) stop you and ask what you think you're doing you're butt is covered, in writing. Airports today are not a place to try covert operations.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Airports today are not a place to try covert operations.

Don
And an eminently sensible one. TSA security types have no sense of humour at all.
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Agreeing with the above:
I've walked wireless through the carryon security checks many times with no questions raised whatsoever.

Filming inside an airport with anything other than the most basic consumer setup would guarantee an interview, I'd think. Wireless mics are not part of a consumer setup...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the help! I'll try to talk to a manager there, and if they aren't too keen on the idea, I'll just keep the camera away.

Cheers!
Zack Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dude, don't even try filming without permission. I really doubt you'll ever get official permission either.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio