Clapping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Clapping

I routinely lower the gain on clapping at receptions because it often peaks. Is this necessary? It usually doesn't peak by much, and clapping is noisy by itself. Thoughts?
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Trustee

When not using the AGC, which is most of the time, I try to anticipate what the max level is that I'll encounter and set up for something just under that. If I do find that I am too hot, I'll back it down a but more and leave it there.

There's such a low s/n ratio in today's gear that you have a lot of room to work with. I'll shoot for an average peak of -6 or less and never let peaks over -3. Remember, if you hit the red, it's clipped. I personally like sweetening audio so I really want clean sound to work with.

To answer your question directly, I wouldn't play with the pots.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Trustee

I record everything I shoot without changing any levels. In post, I adjust the level for speeches, then apply a limiter filter which automatically brings down the clapping to the same level as the speeches.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I normally mix applause about 3-6dbfs lower than speech . It's usually more "dense", having a higher average level. (My .02 cents)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I record everything I shoot without changing any levels. In post, I adjust the level for speeches, then apply a limiter filter which automatically brings down the clapping to the same level as the speeches.

I'm not familiar with this filter and how you apply it. Can you explain how it works - or point me to where can read and figure it out? What other sounds can you filter out?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio