My new Sennheiser needs accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Major Player

My new Sennheiser needs accessories

Hello All

My two threads regarding microphones have taught me quite a bit. After much debate, and a deal of a lifetime, I’ve purchased a Sennheiser 416 P48. As excited as I am waiting for its delivery, I’m equally as timid, as now I must make a decision on the rest of my audio gear. I’ve read through several of the other threads here concerning boom selections, and really, aluminum / carbon fiber: I’m not sure who said it, but I agree that it’s like trying on a pair of shoes. Or as someone else said, choose and punt. So, no worries there. Likewise with cables.

For the time being, I’m bringing this audio into a consumer grade camcorder (Sony HDR-HC9): some short fiction work (indoors and out) and a wedding in July. It’s been expressed to me that the major concern with this setup is that the camcorder has no audio level control, and thus, my gear may need the use of a mixer. Of course, this mic also needs phantom power.

I’m hoping to limit my spending here, which of course means that I may be endangering my audio quality. However, at this point, with holidays, and nothing to hock, I’m strapped for cash. I’d like to keep whatever I may need here under $200, as I estimate that a boom pole and shockmount to be of similar cost.

So, may I kindly ask for your thoughts on phantom power/mixer/whatever I may need? Your expertise is always appreciated.

Last edited by Brian Maurer; December 1st, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
Brian Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would not focus so much on the boom pole or shock-mount., (as the holy graile) but one's ability and experience. IN ANY CASE.... Make sure boom operator can HEAR what he or she is doing with good headphones.
Cheers
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rick. What I'm looking for here is suggestions as to what sorts of phantom power, or mixers, I should be looking into. I'll go back to my original post and edit just to make sure that's clear. I agree though... experience will determine a large portion of the result.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Brian...........

Well, guess I'm going to go against the flow here (what else is new?).

Why on Gods Earth did you buy a mic requiring phantom power for a consumer video setup?

This makes about as much sense as buying a gold plated ashtray to fix to a motorbike!

Too late, I guess, so we'll have to live with it.

Well, now you're in the poo and no mistake.

I missed earlier threads where this must have been discussed ad nauseum, so can't comment.

Where you go from here with the budget available is a complete mystery.

A mixer with phantom for $200?

Why the heck didn't you just buy an el cheapo battery powered mic from Radio Shack for $15 (including cable) and do yourself a serious favour?

I seriously cannot figure out how you got here, but to quote that immortal Irish joke about getting to Dublin from the dark and wooly depths of Cork (or any other deep country area in Ireland -as told by a local):

"Well, I wouldn't start from here".

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; December 2nd, 2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Maurer View Post
Thanks Rick. What I'm looking for here is suggestions as to what sorts of phantom power, or mixers, I should be looking into. I'll go back to my original post and edit just to make sure that's clear. I agree though... experience will determine a large portion of the result.
A mixer under $200 is pretty much out of the question. You can get a battery powered phantom power unit for under $200 to power the mic - something like the Denecke | PS-1A - Portable Single Channel 48V Phantom | PS-1A would work well. But there's another complication - even with a phantom power supply you're still going to need to get the mic's balanced XLR output coming off the phantom power unit into the unbalanced mic input on the camera. Better to combine the functions with an adapter box that provides power as well. I've been pleased with the Juicedlink adapter - the CX231 gives you two channels, converts XLR to mini, and provides phantom power. Run's about $300.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

@ Chris - Thanks for your concern. I don't plan on having this camera forever. It's merely a stepping stone. Additionally, the mic is certainly an investment.

@ Steve - Very helpful. I appreciate your thoughts. $300 isn't bad for what I'll need. Though I want to keep it under, it certainly doesn't mean I can't spend the dollars if I need to. I think across the board people here have suggested the Juicedlink box to me. Maybe not the CX231, but either way, they seem to be a popular recommendation. Much appreciated.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
@ Chris - Thanks for your concern. I don't plan on having this camera forever. It's merely a stepping stone. Additionally, the mic is certainly an investment.

@ Steve - Very helpful. I appreciate your thoughts. $300 isn't bad for what I'll need. Though I want to keep it under, it certainly doesn't mean I can't spend the dollars if I need to. I think across the board people here have suggested the Juicedlink box to me. Maybe not the CX231, but either way, they seem to be a popular recommendation. Much appreciated.
Well, the reason I suggest that model is you definitely must have a phantom power source with that mic, it doesn't have an internal battery option. Using an XLR to mini adapter that doesn't supply it means you need to spend another $100 to $150 for a power supply for the mic, over and above the cost of the adapter. In the Juicedlink line you get phantom with the CX231 @ $300, the CX431 @ $469, and the CX471 @ $569. In the Beachtek line it's the DXA-6a or DXA6-HD
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Major Player

Beachtek was a suggestion a friend of mine in L.A. had, but he was cautious about it. Said that it was an "option to consider, but not reliable." Good to hear that someone else recommended it. Yeah, I knew going into this that the Sennheiser was going to present some issues, but what better way to learn ALL the ins and outs of audio. And as stated before, I’m stuck with the camera I have now, but hope for improvement down the line. This is a great mic and I’m looking forward to working with it. I’ll check out the beachtek and ask an audio bud of mine here at the University for his thoughts. Thanks again Steve. I’m pretty sure you’ve made comments in each of my threads, so I really appreciate your thoughts.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Beachtek was a suggestion a friend of mine in L.A. had, but he was cautious about it. Said that it was an "option to consider, but not reliable." Good to hear that someone else recommended it. Yeah, I knew going into this that the Sennheiser was going to present some issues, but what better way to learn ALL the ins and outs of audio. And as stated before, I’m stuck with the camera I have now, but hope for improvement down the line. This is a great mic and I’m looking forward to working with it. I’ll check out the beachtek and ask an audio bud of mine here at the University for his thoughts. Thanks again Steve. I’m pretty sure you’ve made comments in each of my threads, so I really appreciate your thoughts.
Just FYI, I'm recommending the Juicedlink in preference to the Beach. Gice a listen to the demo video on the Juiced site. Your mileage may vary.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Major Player

audio friend from the University here suggested Beachtek DXA-6VU
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Major Player

hmmm, here is another cheap solution. How about the AKG B18 phantom power supplies?

Bexel | Home

$50. That won't solve a couple of issues though. First there is getting the balanced input into an unbalanced source, but there are many other inexpensive cabling options for that. Next you still won't be able to control the volume on the camera's audio input.

Now you're in a rut though because now you have a mic and power, but no boom and mount. There are many threads where we discussed options, so I won't go into those. But there are some other options.

Best of luck to you.

Wayne
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Wayne. I appreciate that! The only thing that may not work here is this:

Quote:
18-V battery power supply for phantom powering a single condenser microphone.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it appears this powers 18V? The Sennheiser is 48V.

Either way, I do appreciate the suggestion.

Booms... I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going for there, so no worries. Cables are taken care of as well. Found a great nearby supplier.

Really, when it comes down to it, my major goal is get this mic powers, and as balanced as I can afford.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Sorry about that... you would also need the A48 adapter. The problem is these are probably going to hard to find since it seems AKG discontinued them (I haven't used the B18 power supplies in nearly 10 years).

Similar to the AKG boxes are the Deneke PS-T boxes. Although those are a bit over $100 each. But you might want to look at those.

Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio