Lavalier Mic with a Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lavalier Mic with a Canon XH A1

I am looking at buying a couple of lavalier mics to use with my Canon XH A1. I am going to be recording everythign from interviews to independent films with these mics, in conditions ranging from an office to a mountaintop.

I don't know a whole lot about this subject, so any advice would be great. What lavalier mics have you guys used and liked? (Keep in mind that I would like my budget to be under $300 per mic).
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What do you mean by "microphone? Do you mean JUST the mic? Or the mic with power? Do you mean wired to the camera or wireless? Three hundred bucks is tight if you want pro quality. And if you actually need more than just the mic itself, the budget borders on not-doable.

Have a look here for starters:

Audio In Close Up - Which Lavalier Should I Use?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake McGlothlin View Post
I am looking at buying a couple of lavalier mics to use with my Canon XH A1. I am going to be recording everythign from interviews to independent films with these mics, in conditions ranging from an office to a mountaintop.

I don't know a whole lot about this subject, so any advice would be great. What lavalier mics have you guys used and liked? (Keep in mind that I would like my budget to be under $300 per mic).
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not sure how the dollar exchange rate has affected prices. I think the DPA 4061 stereo kit is still outside your price range but worth trying to stretch to.
They can be used in a wide variety of situations. Very versatile mics.
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Trustee

Do you mean wired lavaliers or wireless radio with lavalier mikes? (I notice people often refer to wireless systems as "lavaliers" when they mean wireless....lavalier is a type of microphone...) Anyway, we use the Sennheiser G2 systems on 5 XHa1's with very good results. There is reputed to be a G3 update coming out soon. The C band G2's (700mhz) are soon to be obsoleted by the radio spectrum reassignment coming in Feb, you should check the SennheiserUSA site (if you're in USA, I'm presuming, here) to see what freq bands are / will be in use in your area, the a and b bands are still being sold. These units are doing the job for us, but a set is in the $500 range. Amateur crap in the VHF bands (174-176mhz) will pick up taxi dispatchers and kids playing with radios. Sony, Audio-Technica and the pro (NOT amateur level) Azdens are nice. Lectrosonics are the pro gear but way pricey. If you mean wired lavalier mikes, look at the Sony Ecm series and the Audio-Technica series, both have extensive choices of omni and cardioid wired mikes at good prices. We are using Tram mikes on the Sennheiser wireless kits and they are GREAT lavs, but pricey. Hope this is some help..../ Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio