Editing multiple Audio interview for video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing multiple Audio interview for video

Most of my work is with single interview situations but I have recently shot a training type video that required the use of two microphones (Tram TR-50 lapels) on talent sitting in close proximity to each other. I have started editing this and it sounds ok, but I am having to bring the audio of one mic completely down while the other one is talking in order to not get a "roomy" feel to the audio. Is there a better way to handle this? Is there a better way to have shot it? Is is a little tediously to edit the entire video this way and is especially difficult when they are talking over each other. Any help would be appreciated.
Andy B. Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Can you apply a noise gate so that the mic only becomes "hot" when the signal is above the threshold of the "other" speaker?

In other words if Speaker A has an average volume of 9 when they speak and Speaker B as heard through Speaker A's mic averages a 3, then set the gate to 6 and the only time you should hear that mic is when Speaker A is speaking.
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #3
Trustee

A better option is to use an expander, it will be more subtle than a noise gate and will allow you to just dip the mic that isnt being used.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Gary could you explain a little more for me? I dont know what an expander is? Audio newbie here

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
A better option is to use an expander, it will be more subtle than a noise gate and will allow you to just dip the mic that isnt being used.
EDIT: I just did a little toying with the expander/limiter filter in FCP and I think that is what I was looking for. That seems to help. Is this the best option for this type of work? It would seem that putting this filter on both channels would be the easy/quick fix?

Last edited by Andy B. Turner; December 10th, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Andy B. Turner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio