Optimum volume on playback software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Optimum volume on playback software

Is there an optimum volume for your playback software, relative to your analog amplifier, both in terms of noise and fidelity? In other words, would it be best to set the volume on the software very low (and crank the amplifier), keep the software volume on medium (amplifier on medium), or keep the software volume all the way up (amplifier low)?

To complicate it, what about when there are two volume controls on the software side? For instance, VLC has its own independent volume control, and then there's the volume control on my Mac itself. I've noticed that with the VLC volume all the way up I sometimes get distortion.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Marco, the simple answer is...the manufacturers design all their rigs to operate with the volume controls at the middle setting and they desperately hope the others do too.

And the secret is the original recording. If it's recorded properly, *in the middle* then everything in the following chain should be in the middle. Unfortunately that's not the case which is why they give you a volume control on everything. It's called gain structure.

If you have to screw one up, or down too far, somethings wrong, could be any number of things. The weakest link in the chain will likely be the cause, a cable maybe? Always stop and check the connections first.

What's it like in the inner circle mate, is there aircon, free coffee, any donuts in there?
One day I might get a look :)

Xmas Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

actually, you never want to adjust the main vol on your software platform. leave it at "0" adjust everything else.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio