Use a Sony PCM-D1 or a PCM-D50 as a camera microphone..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Use a Sony PCM-D1 or a PCM-D50 as a camera microphone..?

I'm sorry if I sound a bit incoherent here -- I'm thinking as I'm typing; I wonder if it's possible to use a Sony PCM-D1 (or a PCM-D50) as a regular stereo microphone -- i.e., is there an output that I can feed directly into my XL2? I was thinking of upgrading my stereo onboard microphone, but it would be nice to have something that can also be used as a stand alone recorder and not just only as a microphone.

-- peer
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Major Player

In record pause or record the mic's are present on the out puts so yes.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Tuffrey View Post
In record pause or record the mic's are present on the out puts so yes.
Thanks for a very quick reply. So now I wonder if there's a balanced output, and also if you perhaps know if those Sony PCM's would be better microphones than the stock Canon XL2..?

-- peer
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm not familier with either Sony PCM recorders, but I would assume they would NOT have a balanced out. Most likely a 3.5 mini..HP/Line or at best RCAs. Possibly a S/PDIF .
I would look into quality of the analog output, as these recorders are primarily designed for acquisition and digital transfer.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Major Player

There is NO balanced output on the PCM-D50.
I can't speak for the PCM-D1.

Looking at mine as I write this, all the audio in/out connectors are 3.5 mm stereo.
They also support optical out. Whether that is live while recording/monitoring I
don't know. But that isn't something you can easily connect directly into your camcorder.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Major Player

one 3.5 mm unbalanced stereo mini jack has very good line output and the other mini jack has good headphone feed with plenty of gain and is also very good.
My h/phone feed has been employed as an extra output for my bag set up and sorted the BBC news out. Sounded a lot better than what their dir/producer was getting. This was via my line in though and not with the built in mic's.

mini jack to two rca's, split left/right, would sound great. Tip to left, ring to right and shield to shaft.

Obviously having the thing mounted on the camera will mean any knocks are heard only too well though. Also the wind muff that comes as an extra is not much use outside.

I would stick with the cannon mic personally as it does not seem worth it for the trade off involved. i.e. no shock mount and the awkwardness of mounting it etc... The stock mic is pretty good I think anyway and for ambiance record wildtrack on the Sony.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Peer,
Now that we know more, I would go with Jimmy's advise.
Have a happy '09. Cheers
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio