Wireless Lav mics on a HDR-FX1 & monitoring? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Lav mics on a HDR-FX1 & monitoring?

Ok friends, I just bought a Sennheiser wireless EW112PG2 lav mic system for interviewing people both indoors and out. Being a noob, I did get the 620-680 or whatever it was frequency range which seems to be the safe range not about to be problematic.

This receiver will be hooked up to a Sony HDR-FX1 which does not have an XLR input.

Never having used anything but the onboard mic before, how would you all recommend monitoring the audio while I am shooting interviews? This needs to be easily done in the field with minimal gear, as it has to be able to be packed on airline checked bags along with a zillion other pounds of crap.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Always use headphones when using the Sennheiser's. I have 2 sets, and they are great....but wireless devices are often subject to interference, you will want to know as it happens if it happens, so you can correct things as much as possible on the spot.

It can be a real bummer to shoot a good interview only to capture the footage an hour later and discover there are ststic bursts all thoughout it.

If you cannot use good headphones, then use ear buds, something--so you can hear it while recording.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
Ok friends, I just bought a Sennheiser wireless EW112PG2 lav mic system for interviewing people both indoors and out. Being a noob, I did get the 620-680 or whatever it was frequency range which seems to be the safe range not about to be problematic.

This receiver will be hooked up to a Sony HDR-FX1 which does not have an XLR input.

Never having used anything but the onboard mic before, how would you all recommend monitoring the audio while I am shooting interviews? This needs to be easily done in the field with minimal gear, as it has to be able to be packed on airline checked bags along with a zillion other pounds of crap.
Hello Dave,

Get a pair of Sony MDR7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and plug them into your camera headphone jack.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Thumbs up on the Sony MDR7506 phones, which we bought for our XHA1 kits. I use them in the edit suite, but found them a little bulky to carry and use on the run, so I parked mine i the edit bay and bought ---forgive me, I will be shamed for using amateur stuff -- a pair of Sony MDR V150 phones for about $20 at Best Buy --- they are much more compact in the bag, fit nicely around my neck when they're not on my ears, sound just fine and are, well, expendable and replaceable should something happen to them. News is not easy on gear...my two cents /Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Major Player

I am taking notes on all said here......
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Yup, Ty is right. Just plug the headphones into the top of the camera - the trick with the Sony FX1 is that the headphone VOL is under the the flip up LCD - so you'll want to turn it up. If it's still low google for a product called a "Boostaroo."

Inside the Sennheiser package is the 1/8" to 1/8" cable for connecting the receiver to the camera.

Adjust the "AF Out" on the receiver to -10,

Adjust the Tuner's "Sensitivity" to -20 or -10 and watch the Tuners VU's to see if you're hot.

Adjust the FX1's audio levels in the rear to "Manual" and start at about "3" - check the VU meters on the camera - should be just right.

This vid will help Sennheiser Wireless Tutorial on Vimeo

If you haven't got the headphones yet, I'd suggest a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's - I prefer them over the 7506's. They cost the same $99 Sennheiser PRO Studio monitor headphones at DVcreators.net
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

And monitoring at the camera at head phone jacks on camera, even if you are using a mixer before, is best way of knowing what is actually going on tape.
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Guy, I found that video before on setting up the Sennheiser's and thought it was awesome. I also use DVKitchen from DVCreators, that is awesome too.

Thanks for the play by play.
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #9
DVCreators.Net

Cool. You wouldn't happen to have been the Dave Allen that shot the footage of me and "the camera incident" The Mars Volta, live video from Sasquatch 2008 on Vimeo ???
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #10
Major Player

No, I am the underwater guy...

I went a head and splurged and ordered the Sony MDR7506 headphones.
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #11
Major Player

I love my SONY MDR7506's. I am sure there are others as good but I find mine comfortable to wear and uncolored to my ears. I think you will be happy.

On another point, set up the FX-1 to input the mic to BOTH channels. Then using the on camera volume controls set one channel slightly louder or "hotter" than the other. If you had a mixer with a reference tone output you could set this rather precisely, and set one channel about 8db hotter.... but without just bump it up a little using whatever sound you can use to do that.

The benefit is that if your louder ("hotter") channel never gets to clipping/distortion levels you can use it in the final mix with better results. If it does, you can use the other one. Built in safety net.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Off topic.. but if you like your 7506 HPs you'll like them even more with the Garfield Softie covers.
Garfield | Headphone Softie - Earpad Covers - Black | SGARHS1
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I love my SONY MDR7506's. I am sure there are others as good but I find mine comfortable to wear and uncolored to my ears. I think you will be happy.

On another point, set up the FX-1 to input the mic to BOTH channels. Then using the on camera volume controls set one channel slightly louder or "hotter" than the other. If you had a mixer with a reference tone output you could set this rather precisely, and set one channel about 8db hotter.... but without just bump it up a little using whatever sound you can use to do that.

The benefit is that if your louder ("hotter") channel never gets to clipping/distortion levels you can use it in the final mix with better results. If it does, you can use the other one. Built in safety net.
Chris I don't believe that you have the ability to independently adjust L/R inputs separately on the FX1. You can on the Z1, but not the FX1 line and both L/R are joined.
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Michael.... thanks. I have the Z-1 and mistakenly assumed you had that same split capability on the FX-1. Thanks for setting me straight!

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #15
Major Player

Go ahead and make me regret I didn't get the Z1, lol.

That is ok, as I plan on getting a Scarlet to "overcompensate" ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio