Sanken introduces new COS-11 variant lav mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sanken introduces new COS-11 variant lav mic

Hi all:

Got this in my in box and thought it would be of interest. Sanken has cooked up an optimized version of the popular COS-11 microphone especially for Lectrosonics and Zaxcom digital and digital/analog hybrid wireless systems. Supposedly COS-11D has some new engineering that has much greater RF rejection than the other COS-11 models, as a matter of fact, Sanken claims that the new mic is "immune to RF interference". Nice.

plus24: Sanken Introduces Revolutionary New Miniature

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Trustee

This new model was not introduced by Sanken out of the kindness of their hearts but seems to have been a necessary upgrade according to one of my Vendors. Very often a manufacturer makes a virtue out of an improvement over a previous models issue or shortcoming. I recall when a camera manufacturer first brought out a CCD camera it had several issues one of which I recall was fixed pattern noise. The next model was advertised as having improved fixed pattern noise. Other camera manufacturers never mentioned it. Also if you were Sanken and was told the best new wireless systems caused your mic head to have sound problems you would want to fix that issue quickly since it is one of most important to that product lines usefulness.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Not sure about NYC, but in LA, the COS-11 is "it", that is almost all I ever see used in television and features anymore so I am sure that Sanken has had to stay right on top of anything that would give any competitors a leg up. Talk about owning a market. Did you ever see the Trew Audio poll that they did on their site? It's probably still there but it was something I think in the 80 percentile of their visitors who responded use the COS-11, it is very popular.

Yes, in electronics marketing, taking a utilitarian fix and spinning it as a new feature is done almost as much as it is done with software.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
It's probably still there but it was something I think in the 80 percentile of their visitors who responded use the COS-11, it is very popular.
It's all I use mainly because it sounds great for a lav. You still have to deal with clothes and wind, but when handled correctly, it sounds very natural.

Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio