Shure mixer question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Shure mixer question

After lurking anonymously on this excellent site for several years, I finally have a question to post.

I have a Shure M367 mixer (circa 1996) that recently died -- to quote the late Marlin Perkins -- "suddenly and without warning." I tried replacing the fuse, but that didn't resolve the problem.

My question: Aside from replacing the fuse, are there quick and easy fixes I can try before I pack the thing off to a repair facility?

Perhaps an even better question: Is it even worthwhile to spend approx. $200 to repair a 13-year-old piece of equipment?
Tom Sheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Was the fuse blown or did you just replace it to see if it would help? Have you been inside and seen anything toasted? (Sorry, but I have no idea what your skill level is.)

Shure makes good stuff. If you still use it, its probably cheaper to repair than replace. Might be hard to find an exact replacement nowadays.

If memory serves, you probably won't get your unit back but a fully refurbished one. That was not for that model but another Shure mixer.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
New Boot

Shure mixer problem

I don't know that the fuse was blown, I simply replaced it hoping that would resolve the problem. No, I haven't looked inside the unit, as my skill level is minimal.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Trustee

Repair costs at Shure are often fixed price but the prices have changed from being a no brainer to maybe not such a good deal. It depends on the product. It is worth giving them a call even though the product is discontinued. They may recommend a repair shop. Most shops will give you an estimate as to how much it would cost to repair something. The price of the repair could dictate whether you should be looking for a replacement piece of gear used or new.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
New Boot

I did call Shure and asked them the question I originally asked today and was told to send the unit to a repair facility in the Chicago area along with a check for between $150 to $200. (All this happened before the holidays, so I'm a little hazy on the details.) I'm under the impression that this amount is just to diagnose the problem and perform minor repairs and that the final repair bill could be much higher. I believe I asked if there was a recommended repair shop in Atlanta and got no response to that question.

To be more specific about the fuse, it appeared to be not blown, but I replaced it anyway, to no avail.

Strangely when I got home the day all this happened, I set everything up and the mixer seemed to work fine. But before I went on my next job, I tried it again and there was no sign of life, and it hasn't worked since.

I went to a music store and bought a mixer to use at least as a stop-gap. So I'm not completely without a mixer, but I would like to repair the Shure if it's not cost prohibitive.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

It's so old, you might want to consider sending it to an independent shop for a look. Trew Audio in Nashville normally handles my repairs, and they charge a smaller diagnostic fee, which is then applied toward the final repair bill if I elect to proceed. Those guys are highly recommended, FWIW.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio