Audio/SFX into Minidisc recorder. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #31
Major Player

Just a thought...would length of XLR cable have any bearing on the power to the minidisc 'dissipating' before it reaches it? I only ask as the cable I'm using (using the Shure SM58 at the moment for a few test runs before I sort out the ME66 problem) is a good five metres in length (which is inappropriate for most scenarios I guess?).
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #32
Inner Circle

The length of the cable will affect the signal. Let's see, five meters. The handy Internet converter tells me that's 16.4 feet. Shouldn't be a problem, especially with the hotter ME66. The dynamic mic should be good as well. I've always understood that a mic level signal can travel at least 25 feet before you notice any drop off. I don't know where the point is where it starts to degrade. One thing I would worry about, especially with the dynamic mic, is if you have an unbalanced connection. A low level signal like that will be prone to interference. That's why you want an adapter with a transformer balanced connection.

Also, as long as you have the K6 module, I'd recommend looking at some of the other capsules for your sound collection before I'd invest in another mic like the Sony. They make cardiod, omni, lav, and hypercardiod caps. Unless of course you want stereo. The Sony would be good for that. Just a thought.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
The length of the cable will affect the signal. Let's see, five meters. The handy Internet converter tells me that's 16.4 feet. Shouldn't be a problem, especially with the hotter ME66. The dynamic mic should be good as well. I've always understood that a mic level signal can travel at least 25 feet before you notice any drop off. I don't know where the point is where it starts to degrade. One thing I would worry about, especially with the dynamic mic, is if you have an unbalanced connection. A low level signal like that will be prone to interference. That's why you want an adapter with a transformer balanced connection.

Also, as long as you have the K6 module, I'd recommend looking at some of the other capsules for your sound collection before I'd invest in another mic like the Sony. They make cardiod, omni, lav, and hypercardiod caps. Unless of course you want stereo. The Sony would be good for that. Just a thought.
Ok - it's not the cable length then. I'll know once I test a few cables/adapters out hopefully this weekend. Not even thought of purchasing over capsules - fine idea! Do they not make stereo capsules for the K6 then? I'll look into the types of capsules available for the K6. Cheers Marco.
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Nope. Stereo wouldn't be possible with a single K6 unit, as it is just a single mic.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #35
Major Player

Update:

Finally managed to pick up a new cable yesterday. I took the ME66 into the Sound Shop and tested out a cable - works a treat. I asked why the other cable (which I took in) works with the Shure SM58 but not the ME66 (both the same - XLR to 1/4 TRS)...the guy serving me (which to be fair may have been from a different department - it was a musical instrument shop) couldn't find a reason why the previous cable didn't work?!?

Anyhow...I now have sound coming into my Mini Disc and it didn't cost me the earth to get it sorted. I couldn't find any quality XLR to 1/8" trs/mini jack adaptors so purchased the XLR to 1/4" TRS and a cheap adapter (steel as opposed to the plastic ones...looks more durable if anything).
What I have noticed is that I have to push the record volume WAY down because the ME66 lifts the tiniest whisper up to jet engine levels (quite substantial distortion). The level display on the Sony Mini Disc isn't great to be honest...but I've now got this very acceptable field recording device for next to nothing (cost of new cable).
The other concern is that any slight touches of the mic or the Mini Disc itself causes a few loud bursts of noise...dodgy connections on the MD itself I guess. Once in record, there's no way I can disrupt/touch any part of the set up.
The adapter with a fader would be nice also, as would a substantially smaller mic (the aforementioned sony's).

So - huge thanks for the advice...I'm now hoping (attempting to) that it will be straightforward to place the audio onto my hard drive (via Logic for example) - no digi outs on this model so I'm guessing it's a case of: the correct lead (single 1/8" to 1/8" trs/jack) into the back of the mac via 'audio' record (as I'd do with live audio)...
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Glad to see that you're getting closer. As for the noise when you bump the cables, I'm still inclined to believe it's the adapter setup, rather than the input jack on the minidisc. Old style MDs can be transfered digitally to a computer using a HiMD unit, but tragically, Mac is no longer supported. Best option is probably to go through the AD conversion as you describe. I'd use a stereo mini plug cable to connect to your mac.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Glad to see that you're getting closer. As for the noise when you bump the cables, I'm still inclined to believe it's the adapter setup, rather than the input jack on the minidisc. Old style MDs can be transfered digitally to a computer using a HiMD unit, but tragically, Mac is no longer supported. Best option is probably to go through the AD conversion as you describe. I'd use a stereo mini plug cable to connect to your mac.
Shame about the HiMD situation (for my part I'd never heard of this connection). I'll pick up a (mini) Jack to Jack cable sometime this week (I have a multitude of cables which enter the single jack point on the mac (iMac by the way) but no single (stereo) cable.
You're probably spot on with the adapter - and I might go down that route should I have a spare bit of pocket change...otherwise I get flash/HD recorders might be an option for field recording (I'd have to tie that in with the vid camera so I might look at other options some time in the future).

Thanks Marco.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio