question about a dynamic microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #1
New Boot

question about a dynamic microphone

I just bought a miyako usa wm-308 dynamic microphone, when it comes to microphones im a noob(all im used to is my xlr on my camera). I got the microphone from an artist that ive shot music videos for. I wanted the mic so i can do interviews and such. I have two questions 1) how much does this mic cost, I wanna make sure i didnt pay to much. and 2) how good do you think the quality is on this mic. there is no link to view the mic since i couldnt find one anywhere at all in the internet ANYWHERE. so i have no solid info on this mic whatsoever. please help if you can.
Josh Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Does it look like this, perhaps minus the wireless and XLR cable?
Matrix WM-308 Professional Wireless Handheld Microphone (Black)
or this on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Matrix-Wirel...06165006r26906

Importers will buy these Chinese mics and put their own brands on them - can't find a Miyako brand but a Google on just "microphone" and "wm-308" turns up a number of hits. Note that the whole unit including the mic, XLR cable, plug-on wireless transmitter, and receiver usually sells for $30 or so brand new and the wholesales price from the factory is $3.50 each (yes, that's three dollars and fifty cents). I'd say if you gave him more than 5 bucks for the mic by itself you got hosed. And that doesn't address the issue of whether it's any good or not.

If you're looking for a handheld dynamic mic for interviews and are on a budget take a look at the ElectroVoice 635 or the AudioTechnica 8004. Either of them will run you right around $100 and are rugged, reliable, and nice sounding.

Took another look and found the Miyako brand - doesn't have a price but it looks very close to the others I found except for the colour - http://www.miamiexporta.com/miyakousa/microphones2.htm
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #3
New Boot

yeah thats the one on the bottom link(the silver one anyways). I cant believe how hard it is to get a stinking price on this mic. let alone how good it is. so i gues i got a piece of junk. thanks for the info. if anyone else know about that mic please let me know what you think, because if steve is right, I might have to go on a killing spree... not really but i will not be happy.

thanks for your help steve.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cupp View Post
yeah thats the one on the bottom link(the silver one anyways). I cant believe how hard it is to get a stinking price on this mic. let alone how good it is. so i gues i got a piece of junk. thanks for the info. if anyone else know about that mic please let me know what you think, because if steve is right, I might have to go on a killing spree... not really but i will not be happy.

thanks for your help steve.
If you Google "microphone wm-308" you'll turn up a number of places selling the kit for about $30. The Chinese website http://www.chinasourcingreports.com/...ct-Gallery.htm shows there's a black model made by "AQTA" and a silver version made by "Boxing Electronic." I'm curious how much your 'friend' charged you for it?
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank you for your help steve, I am going to the guys house where i bought it and get my money back. ty
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6
New Boot

finally found the answer i was looking for well acording to the actual company, after a whole days work, the mic retails at 90 to 120 dollars. so i guess i didnt get screwed that bad. I just wanted to let steve know since he help me through my delima. thanks again for all your help steve I do apreciate it.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cupp View Post
finally found the answer i was looking for well acording to the actual company, after a whole days work, the mic retails at 90 to 120 dollars. so i guess i didnt get screwed that bad. I just wanted to let steve know since he help me through my delima. thanks again for all your help steve I do apreciate it.
If you tracked down Miyako USA in Miami they would be the wholesalers. You should also check the websites for the retailers that are selling them - those that I've seen are heavily discounted at about half the "suggested retail." For instance, http://www.atechglobal.com/microphon...er_wm-308.html In any case, I think you'd get a lot more for your money if you stayed with recognized brands such as ElectroVoice, Audio Technica, etc - I'll guarantee you will get a much better microphone for $100.
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, finding out that a microphone can retail for a certain price somewhere doesn't help determine what quality it is. I saw a spec on that mic that the frequency response was 100Hz - 10KHz. Broadcast quality audio goes to 15KHz, and young ears can hear to 20KHz or so. Best bet is just use it and see how it does.

Also, Steve is right, you can get some very good microphones for $100 or so. I just got a new Electro-Voice RE50N/D-B ($180) and it makes some beautiful audio.

A Rode VideoMic on top of your camera might be great for informal interviews. Or you could go shotgun boom or lavalier.
Hank Coffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio