mixer bags at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Major Player

mixer bags

Hi all,

I just purchased a Shure FP-31 (no flaming), and am looking for a bag. I've been looking at the koala-1 from kata and the petrol psmb. Both good, but I'd like some alternatives in the same or lower price range. What do you guys use? What can I get away with? What features do I really need in a mixer bag as opposed to ones that are just nice to have?

Chris
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use a Koala Kata 4
KTVD114 Kata Koala-4 Mixer Case

For either my 702T or my 302. Great bag IMO, includes a waist and neck strap to stop it lolloping on the move. Plenty of room for my NP-65 and a spare. I keep tarpaulin handy in there too in case the wet weather gets really severe and I need to cover up quick. It's not a particularly versatile bag though - if you don't like the way it's configured then there's not much you can do to change it. Keeps it simple. I like it.

What I look for as "needs" are comfort, protection/weatherproofness and durability. I like the cable routing, zips, hooks, on the bag.
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Are you aware of something that would hold both a 302 and a 702? Or would they both fit in the Koala-4?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

They won't both fit in the Koala 4 (I've tried).

For bag work where I need mixer and recorder I use a Petrol Pegz 4 which has ample room (possibly a little too much). Usually though, if I'm mixing and recording I'll be cart based.
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #5
Major Player

In the beginning of last year I got myself a KATA SUNDO-1 to put my PSC DV Promix 3 in.

KATA SUNDO-1 Audio Organizer

Now I (actually my soundman) can carry the mixer, wireless receivers, microphones, headphone, cables, spare discs and a powerfull V-Lock battery to operate the mixer in one bag. The OVH harness from KATA makes it very comfortable to wear this for a longer time.

Made a full switch from Portabrace to KATA last year and never regretted it!

Try to take some pictures of it if you like.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Are you aware of something that would hold both a 302 and a 702? Or would they both fit in the Koala-4?
Jim, You might want to checkout Petrolz 302 bag. It holds my 302 and 744T--snugly yes, but it does do the job as long as you don't want to carry much else in the bag.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Chris,
New Bags are probably going to cost more than the mixer you bought. I would check on the new offerings and then check Ebay to see if you can find a used one in good shape. Personally I like to have a bag which holds radio mic receivers, transmitters and the mixer with an external battery supply as a unit. I find the detachable hands free shoulder straps to be a godsend. Portabrace has modular set ups where you can add external bags to your mixer or buy an organizer. The advantage of the organizer is you can switch to another mixer in the future without buying a new bag as long as it is not much different in size. Ie the mono FP-31 is about the same size as the SD 302 Stereo mixer. HTH
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Peter,

Thanks much for the lead. I'll give one a try
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Daniel,

Thanks for the comparison. I see a lot pertaining to the 302, since it's a much more popular mixer. Good to know those bags will work for my fp-31. I'm also interested in power supplies for my mixer. Do I need one? What options do I have both big and small budget?

Thanks for the responses guys. All good info.

Chris
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
Daniel,

Thanks for the comparison. I see a lot pertaining to the 302, since it's a much more popular mixer. Good to know those bags will work for my fp-31. I'm also interested in power supplies for my mixer. Do I need one? What options do I have both big and small budget?

Thanks for the responses guys. All good info.

Chris
You could get longer times between battery changes with an external supply. Are you talking about for just the mixer or do you need to supply a recorder and/or wireless as well?

By far the most popular seems to be an NP-1 style Lithium Ion rechargeable. Pricey though - the batteries are about $200 each and a charger holding two of them runs about $400. Power cable to use with your mixer runs about $50.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Well the spec sheet on the fp-31 states that it will run for 8 hours on 3 9v batteries under "normal conditions", whatever they deem that to be. I use an h4 to record atm, and I'm guessing those batts will run for a while as well. I'm not supplying phantom power to any of my mics, I don't have any wireless units, and I'm not working 12-14 hour days on a set, so I'm guessing external power supply is not a necessary investment right now.

I'll put that cash toward a much needed light kit.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You could get longer times between battery changes with an external supply. Are you talking about for just the mixer or do you need to supply a recorder and/or wireless as well?

By far the most popular seems to be an NP-1 style Lithium Ion rechargeable. Pricey though - the batteries are about $200 each and a charger holding two of them runs about $400. Power cable to use with your mixer runs about $50.
there's no need to spend that kind of cash for battery power. my custom 24V system with 2 12V paks, and all the parts didn't go over $140 or so. your local batteries plus can build you a battery pak with whatever you need. my paks are based on 5/4 AA cells ( bigger AA cells ) NiMH that cost $50 ea. now I do have a PAG charger that will charge anything, so that wasn't a problem, the same place should be able to set you up with a charger. this will run my '33 with phantom on and 2 lectro 195's and bag light for a full day. just running on the mixer, it will run for at least 2 days.

that said, if the mixer wants 3 9V's, most likely they are in series, meaning its getting 36V's for the V in. then regulate it down to 24V or so. thats typical range value to get good performance from a preamp ciricut of average design. you might want to investigate what max V the external connection will take. if its 24V or so, I'd juice it that hot. sure mixers like hot external power.

however the problem is figuring out a charger, which is why I went with 2 12V paks. in series its 24 and makes the mixer happy, in parallel its easy to charge on any suitable charger. I've got this all handled with a "simple" 4P toggle switch. one position is charger ( bag power off ) and the other on. a 12V regular feeds the lectros & other 12V devices. a wire with a pin connector to the power box breaks out to 2 coaxial power plugs that go to the charger. all the power feeds in the bad are hardwired into the power box with one spare. its easy enough to add another if I ever need it.

I went with a petrol PEGZ 1. its a little bit tight, I'd get a PEGZ2 next time as I could not fit another wireless in if I wanted to. however headphones can live permentenly in the front compartment. the petrol stuff is totally configurable to just about anything. very very well thought out, but not something you can see from a picture. a bag can make or break your day, and the petrol stuff is WAY better then the portabrace stuff... way better
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Major Player

As promised, some pictures of my PSC DV Promix 3 in a KATA SUNDO-1 audio organizer.
Attached Thumbnails
mixer bags-psc-dv-promix-3-kata-sundo-1-001.jpg   mixer bags-psc-dv-promix-3-kata-sundo-1-002.jpg  

mixer bags-psc-dv-promix-3-kata-sundo-1-003.jpg   mixer bags-psc-dv-promix-3-kata-sundo-1-004.jpg  

Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
Hi all,

I just purchased a Shure FP-31 (no flaming)

Chris
How are you liking the Shure FP-31? I was thinking about getting the FP-42 or 32. Any insight would be great.

Thanks
Nicole
www.myspace.com/misscc803
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Major Player

Actually, it's still on its way...

To be honest, I would like to have purchased a better unit, but I need a mixer for a coming gig and had neither the cash nor the time to save to get what I really want. My biggest concern with the FP-31 (and I think the 32 as well) is that it's a mono mixer. I think both the FP-33 and FP-42 are stereo, but don't quote me on that. The other issue I'm gonna have to deal with is using analog meters to monitor sound to a digital medium. From what I've read, the calibration and sensitivity are very different between the mixer, the digital recorder, and the cam. I'm going to be recording dual sound in the hopes that I'll have a backup if I ruin the sound into my cam, but my suggestion would be to go with a mixer with LED metering if you can afford one.

Hopefully I'll upgrade in the next two years to a 302 or, cash flow permitting, a 442.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Christopher Glavan; February 15th, 2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: more insight
Christopher Glavan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio