Question on Normalization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question on Normalization

Hello... I'm good with cutting/pasting but am newb at more intricate audio adjustments.

I'm working in Adobe Audition and was wondering if normalization is the best way to tackle the problem of clipping. How to normalize so just the clipped sections get nice? And not to effect the other audio information...?

Is there a way to take down auto just clipped areas and to some how round them off so they don't sound so distorted?
Jason McGovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2

In my experience, normalizing a clipped waveform won't help much, if at all. In some instances, applying a limiter will help. Some tools, will artificially try to restore clipped peaks, like Izotope's RX tool. These have limited success, as well.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I use the ancestor of Audition which is Cool Edit Pro.

I don't know if Audition uses the original dropdown menus or definitions of functions so my comments my be totally wrong.

Normalisation probably won't do much for you. The waveform may already be flattened. You may get something back by selecting "Transform", then "Amplitudue", then "Dynamics Processing" and play around with the compression and expansion presets which you can then adjust and save as a new preset into the library.

Sometimes you might cheat a tiny bit of apparent improvement with "Transform" then "Delay effects" then "Delay" where you can fine tune across a stereo pair which sometimes has the effect of slightly enlivening a a clip that has had all the brightness compressed the hell out of it.

Last edited by Bob Hart; February 16th, 2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: can't spell
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, thanks -- the Dynamics Processor is very interesting. I'm not sure, but from playing around with it - it really does a nice job reducing the dynamic range. The subject I was interviewing just went from loud to soft - it's all over the place!

I'm going to play with the delay effects you mentioned tomorrow.

I'm a video guy and this is the first time I'm attempting to produce a piece for the radio.
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Major Player

If it's clipped, it's too late and normalising won't do anyhning at all as it's already been "normalised".

All normalising does is to write the highest peak at 0dBFS (or what you set) and bring everything else up in relation to it - as it's clipped, the loudest peak is already at 0dBFS.

Basically, you need to re-write the peaks so that they are rounded rather than clipped.
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Trustee

IIRC Audition has a plugin that attempts to restore clipped audio...I use Sound Forge 9, which has a similar tool which works to some extent by attempting to write tops to the clipped peaks and, I think but am not posititve, expands the unclipped peaks downward to try to provide some sembalance of a normal waveform....

Once the peaks are clipped at 0 dBfs the data is gone, because in digital audio 0 is the absolute end of the digital range and there aren't any more digits above that....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. John - how do you go abou "re-writing the peaks so that they are rounded rather than clipped"?

Battle - what plugin are you referring to?
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Jason --

Auditon 3: Resoration > Clip Restoration
Sound Forge 9: Tools >Clipped Peak Restoration

Sorry, plug-in is misleading, these are built-in effects in both cases.

/Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

"Sound Forge 9: Tools >Clipped Peak Restoration, Sorry, plug-in is misleading, these are built-in effects in both cases."

Clarification:
I don't know about Audition but in Sound Forge-9.0, "Clipped Peak Restoration" is part of the "Noise Reduction 2.0 DX plug-in collection", which is bungled w/ SF-9.0 along w/ CD-Architect among other niceties. Battle is correct about it also being listed in the SF-9 tools menu.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks, Rick, I wasn't aware it was a separate piece, it just showed up in the tools menu. I'm wondering if there is a vst plugin that Jason could obtain somewhere, if perhaps this effect is available separately, it might solve his problem..../B. Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio