Zoom H2 to mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom H2 to mixer

What cable would I use in order to connect a Zoom H2 to a mixer?
Robert Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It depends on which mixer it is. Either the mixer will have XLR, RCA, or Line Inputs. So you will need a 1/8 cable to XLR or 1/8 to Dual RCA cable, or 1/8 to 1/4(quarter inch) cable.

Did that answer your question? I will post pics for you in a few.

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

1/8 to dual 1/4(quarter inch) cable
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:...f6f0acaec2.jpg

1/8 to dual RCA cable
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/medi...3d09fa0ba6.jpg

1/8 to dual XLR cable
http://www.pssl.com/images/ProdImage01/500/CYX-402.jpg

Not sure if you will be running to one channel on a mixer or two just posted pics of dual cables. Now you have to just pick the cable that is compatible with your mixer.

Nicole
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nicole...Very much appreciate all the good info. and photo links. I guess my next question is... what advantage/ benefit is the two channel over the single channel?
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

One channel would be mono and two channels would be stereo. I personally work with one channel per mic and record it as a mono signal. It allows me to then have more inputs. Besides when you go to edit you can always mix down to a stereo file if need be. But going one channel or two channels would be up to you. So just buy a single 1/8 to either RCA, XLR, or 1/4(quarter inch) cable. Just know you have to sort of mess around with your equipment and find something(technique) that works for you. Good luck!!!

Nicole
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Acosta View Post
What cable would I use in order to connect a Zoom H2 to a mixer?
You aren't clear on the application. Connecting mixer output to the Zoom recorder inputs or are you using the Zoom as a playback device feeding its output to the mixer's inputs for playback on set or re-recording in camera?
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Connecting the mixer output to the H2 input and recording the mixers audio onto the H2. I'm hoping the mixer out audio is comparable to the audio that would have been captured if I had just recorded the sound using the H2's mics.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Acosta View Post
Connecting the mixer output to the H2 input and recording the mixers audio onto the H2. I'm hoping the mixer out audio is comparable to the audio that would have been captured if I had just recorded the sound using the H2's mics.
Depends on the quality of the mics and the mixer and its pramps, of course, but it should be as good or better than the built-in mics. A good mixer will give you lots more control, better filtering and limiters, etc.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Trustee

And of course it depends on the mic placement versus where the H2 would have been placed.
To add to the cable info, the first two cables mentioned above (1/8" TRS to either 2x 1/4" or 2x RCA) will work as either input or output cables.
The XLR cable would need to have female XLR ends to act as an output from the XLR out from a mixer to the 1/8" input of the recorder, and it would have to be wired correctly to go from 2-channel balanced to stereo unbalanced connectors. The male XLR ended cable was correct if you were asking how to send the signal from the H2 into the mixer, if the mixer had line-level XLR inputs. Again it would have to be wired correctly.
Some mixers also have stereo line outs on 1/8" TRS jacks since this type of jack has become more common on miniature recorders. In that case, a simple 1/8" to 1/8" TRS cable will work.
You would need to be careful when using hot line-level outputs so you don't overdrive the input of the recorder. This would result in distortion, no matter how low you set the recorder's recording level. As always, monitor with good headphones.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; February 25th, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio