48v power plugin or seperate power supply? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #1
New Boot

48v power plugin or seperate power supply?

I have already purchased a Senn 416 48v with boompole and now want to get a wireless system to accompany that mic.

So I was thinking of getting a:

Sennheiser Evolution G2 500 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Plug-In Transmitter System with EK500 Receiver and SKP500 Plug-In Transmitter (Channel Set B/626 - 662MHz) price= $884.50

I want to able to move around on a run and gun shoot without being tethered to the boom. I have not been able to a find a receiver and plugin transmitter that supplies 48v for a better price than that package.

My question is, is it better to get a plugin transmitter with 48v power or buy a separate 48v power supply and go with a list expensive plugin transmitter like the Sennheiser G2 100 series? I am not a sound guy but it seems like it would be less of a hassle to not have to carry around a separate power supply.

Last edited by Khang Mai; February 28th, 2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: correction
Khang Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Major Player

With the 100 set running around $500, and the pwr supply in the $200 neighborhood, you're not really saving all that much IMO. And at that point you will have two pieces of gear to secure to the boom pole.

If it were me, I'd go with the 500 set you linked to. It offers more presets channels than the 100, which is good in these days of crowded channels before the DTV transition. The 500 receiver also has a headphone jack which is handy (actually a requirement for me). Finally you'll only have the plugin to attach to your boom pole and the 500 plugon works great with the 416P48.

My .02
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Consider that the boom operator needs to be able to monitor what the mic is doing. A plugon transmitter directly on the mic precludes that. You might consider getting a mic preamp/monitor unit such as the Sound Devices MM-1 (MM-1 Line Driver / HP Monitor | Sound Devices, LLC). The boom op would wear it on his belt and the mic would be cabled to it. The preamp provides the phantom for the mic as well as a headphone amp allowing the boom op to listen to the mic. Then the line output of the preamp is fed through a short jumper cable to a regular bodypack transmitter also worn on the op's belt for the hop back to the camera. This way one bodypack transmitter and receiver kit can do double duty - as a wireless link for the boom to the camera when booming or with a lav for a conventional wireless setup when you want to go lav.
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the advice. Steve, I am looking into that device now. Sounds like not a bad idea. Though it's a little pricey at $350 on B&H. Do you know of another dealer that has a better price?

Last edited by Khang Mai; March 1st, 2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: correction
Khang Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khang Mai View Post
Thanks for the advice. Steve, I am looking into that device now. Sounds like not a bad idea. Though it's a little pricey at $350 on B&H. Do you know of another dealer that has a better price?
No, B&H has about the best prices around. Sound Devices products are fully professional and built like a tank. You pay a little more for their level of quailty and they're worth every penny.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd strongly urge you to give the MM1 consideration as well. Worth every penny, I promise you. The limiter will help you prevent getting weird compander noise. Variable gain, low cut filter, mix-in audio capability (for talkback system if needed), and phantom power (including T-Power!) make it a really useful tool.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #7
New Boot

skp500

The SKP500 power module is less than $400 at soundmixers.com so don't spend too much on it.

Second, a phantom power supply is only about $100 if you look around.

Third, It's a twenty dollar cable to go from a regular G2 sennheiser system to a power supply then to your MKH416.

So, think about your options. In my case, having a second wireless system for the $500 to be able to lav two people or lav one and wireless boom the other is worth it.

Of course, you then need to get the feed back to the boom operator. Maybe a used comtek set off of ebay would fit in the budget. After all, you were originally looking at $800. That amount will get you pretty much everything you need if your smart about it.

Best wishes.

P.S. You've been given other good and valid options as well. Weigh out what you need and make the decision that's right for you.
David Adamic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio