Camera problem or Mic problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera problem or Mic problem

I was shooting a company event on Sunday and I was using my VX2100 with my Sennheiser ew112 wireless mic. Here is my problem; Every time I used the camera focus I got some interference in my headphones, which got recorded on the tape. When I changed my setting on the cam to Auto focus, I got the interference even more. I went into the settings on the cam and changed from Auto Mic or Manual Mic. It cut down on the interference a little but it was still there. I know it’s not the Mic, it worked prefect with my other cam (GL2)

Bottom line is every time the camera’s focus was used, I got the hum sound in my headphones and on my tape. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Try moving your receiver away from the camera. Are you running your camera on Battery or AC power?

Andy
Andy Turrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall View Post
Here is my problem; Every time I used the camera focus I got some interference in my headphones, which got recorded on the tape.
This sounds like a classic case of driving the focus motor is causing electrical noise which shows up in the audio circuits.

Quote:
When I changed my setting on the cam to Auto focus, I got the interference even more.
If the focus motor is more active (Auto focus) you are getting more noise.

Quote:
I went into the settings on the cam and changed from Auto Mic or Manual Mic. It cut down on the interference a little but it was still there.
Putting it to manual mic. gain means quiet sections aren't getting boosted so much, so the electrical noise isn't so obvious.

Quote:
I know it’s not the Mic, it worked prefect with my other cam (GL2)

Bottom line is every time the camera’s focus was used, I got the hum sound in my headphones and on my tape. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Sounds like the GL2 has better electrical isolation of power from audio.

This is similar to something I've noticed in my old vintage 2000 Sony TRV-320 consumer cam.
If I shoot and capture directly to my laptop, I get better audio than if I stick a tape in the camcorder and record to tape.
My assumption is that driving the tape motor/transport mechanism is causing electrical noise that shows up in the audio, especially in quiet sections.
With that cam, switching to manual audio gain isn't even an option :-(

Last edited by Bill Koehler; March 4th, 2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added similar experience.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Andy, it does it on AC power or Battery
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I get the exact problem with my Panasonic DVX-100a. It's only noticable when it's on auto focus and keeping it on manual there's no problem. I use the focus ring instead of the push/auto button as well to keep the electrical noise down. Noise reduction tools usually makes things better in post.
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Isolating your wireless system

On my old XL1S the wireless system mounted on the back (the same with my current JVC HD-100U). Try and moving the wireless unit away from the zoom motor and see if you still get the audio noise. Mounting on top of the camera might be too close to the focus or zoom motors.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mark, I have my wireless unit mounted on one of my tri-pod legs. I have been using this set-up for over 3 years and its just now acting up. I thinking it may be my camera
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Camera Problem

Are you using different power source / batteries or have you had the camera in a wet enviorment? How is the wireless unit connected to the camera? Some time I get static and need to change to a different freq. it might be a cableing problem, can you borrow a different wireless unit to test with? Is it connected to your camera with a XLR or 1/8th inch plug? If it is a 1/8 plug, it might be damaged at the connector or the plug, I would try and isolate your problem at the weakest point, it might be a loose grounding connector in the plug or the wireless wire.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Try using a different mic. If the noise persists with a wired mic, or even the internal mic-then I would say your camera is a fault. If so, there is a particular audio problem with the VX I would be looking at. If the other mics work without problem, then I would think the wireless is bad or being interfered with.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio