shotgun mic questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

shotgun mic questions

Hey everyone,

Finally I was able to purchase my own equipment which consists of an HV30, a Juicedlink CX231 amp, ATH-T44 headphones, a DIY boompole and an AT875R short condenser mic. First there was this annoying buz in my headphones that I couldn't figure out where it was coming from then realized to my unknowing that I had the camera set to AV and not Headphones. I now have that straightened out and I can hear everything in my headphones. Absolutely everything...Since I only have a stand clip and not a shock mount I can hear the slightest tap on the boom pole. However there is a shock mount in the process.

My question is, What can I do to test my environments to see if what I am hearing is the best possible sound for indoor and outdoor applications?

I understand that shotgun mics are tricky indoors and outdoors you must worry about wind blowing into the mic. I am in the process of making a softie out of an old fuzzy Christmas stocking but won't know how well it works until its finished.

Thanks for your time,
Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Honestly Terry, I'm not sure what you are asking. What do you mean by "testing my environments"?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Experience and skill is what you need. The latter will only come with the former. Equipment and book knowledge is a start but doesn't go very far.

Grab your boom pole operator and go practice a shoot. I enlisted the help of my daughter to read a poem in a half dozen pretty sites around town. Turned out to be a fun time and the footage is (now 5 years later) priceless. If you want to get good audio, your operator should have an inline monitor to hear what he or she is booming. I use a Rolls PM50SoB personal monitor mounted on the pole or belt.

Forget the DIY deadcat. There's some out there for $30 or so that will be way better than a former christmas stocking.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio