Stereo Mic(s) for wild sound recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stereo Mic(s) for wild sound recording

I have been asked to collect some wild sounds for a feature that is shooting locally. Right now I have an SD302 as a preamp and a Zoom H4 or Edirol R-09 that I can use as a recorder. I have been testing with an older Sony stereo microphone with adjustable pattern. It seems to have too low an output for many of the quieter sounds they have requested I capture. I also have some super cheap MXL991's which have higher output then the Sony, but seem a little noisy. I went to Guitar Center today to try and listen to the $429 Rode NT-5 Matched pair, but the store was so loud that there was no possible way to evaluate anything.

I don't have a fortune to spend on new microphones, but if there were something that I could buy for 500-600 that would suit my purposes I would be interested.

If anyone dose this type of recording professionally I would love an opinion.
David Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I really like the Audio-Technica AT822 and AT825. The street price for the AT825 is $300.

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more

The 822 has unbalanced outputs. The 825 can be phantom-powered but both can use their own internal battery.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

At first I was going to say Sony 680S, but the street price is around $800. It's a really nice stereo/shotgun mic. Then, I thought, hmmm...outdoors, wind protection, suspension, pistol grip...and remembered a video of a guy showing the Rode Blimp with the RODE NT4 stereo mic. That whole set-up would fit within your budget. The NT4 might be a little heavy with it's thick metal body, but with a pistol grip for gathering wild sound, it's definitely a viable option. Watch this and see what you think YouTube - Rode Blimp & NT4 microphone
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Do you actually need stereo? Are you talking about 'ambiance/athmospheres' or specific sounds like close-miked machinery or such?
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Major Player

If you need truly low noise nature recordings, cheap, rig two Rode NT1-A mics as a stero pair.

Google NT1-A and nature stereo recording and you'll find some sample setups.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been making this work with the MXL mics and it's working out alright. Wind protection has been an issue so looking at the Rode NT4 option or one of the stereo shotguns might be a good solution if I could use a blimp. Thanks for the advice and recommendations.
David Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Trustee

I have used my AT825 inside a blimp, it is very susceptible to wind noise without a lot of protection. Being able to put it inside a blimp is one advantage for outdoor recording that a single-point stereo mic has versus two separate mics. Keep in mind the AT825 has a similiar body diameter to most shotguns, the NT4 is a wide-body.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio