Fixing Broken Zoom H2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Fixing Broken Zoom H2?

I fried a Zoom H2 by subjecting it to NZ voltage - thought the AC adapter could handle it, but apparently, it couldn't.

I was quoted $50/hr plus parts, with a minimum of $50 just to have Samson look at it. Since a new one's $150, I told them not to bother.

So, question is: Anywhere that'll fix the Zoom H2 for cheaper than having Samson look at it? Failing that, any way to scavenge parts (like microphones and such?)
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I fried a Zoom H2 by subjecting it to NZ voltage - thought the AC adapter could handle it, but apparently, it couldn't.

I was quoted $50/hr plus parts, with a minimum of $50 just to have Samson look at it. Since a new one's $150, I told them not to bother.

So, question is: Anywhere that'll fix the Zoom H2 for cheaper than having Samson look at it? Failing that, any way to scavenge parts (like microphones and such?)
Why don't you just get another AC adapter? I would think the recorder itself should be okay. Pick up one cheap at Radio Snak, 9VDC and greater than 300ma should cvost about $10 or so and should work. Worth it to test the recorder - I be suprised if putting an overvoltage on the AC adapter would damage the recorder itself
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Why don't you just get another AC adapter? I would think the recorder itself should be okay
That would certainly be a good first step but if the adapter is a really cheesy one--without a fuse, it certainly could blow up the unit.

Does it work on batteries?

(let me add, a good ps will have a fuse but it wouldn't be replaceable.)
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Why don't you just get another AC adapter? I would think the recorder itself should be okay. Pick up one cheap at Radio Snak, 9VDC and greater than 300ma should cvost about $10 or so and should work. Worth it to test the recorder - I be suprised if putting an overvoltage on the AC adapter would damage the recorder itself
The Recorder is dead. Does not work on batteries.
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
The Recorder is dead. Does not work on batteries.
Wow - that must have been quite a spectacular zap when you plugged it in. It's surprising that they aren't shipping a dual-voltage unit - even my little Canon point and shoot still camera's battery charger and my electric shaver work just fine on either 110 or 230v. Putting 230 volts into a 110 volt-rated wall-wart might have blown the AC adapter but its fuse should have prevented damage to the recorder. Have you tried with a fresh set of batteries? In many cases the battery pack is in parallel with the external DC input. The overvoltage applied to them might have fried the batteries but left the recorder intact. If you haven't tried it, it would worth a shot to see what happens.

Electronic devices work on Magic Smoke - if you let the smoke escape, they won't work any more.
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Look into getting the newer version H4n. I am quite happy with mine.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Major Player

I already ordered a replacement H2, the H4n doesn't have enough features for me to bother with the upgrade. XLR inputs are nice, but I already have a Juicedlink.

What I mainly use the H2 for, day-to-day, is for interviews - The camera glitches, or the sound isn't quite right, or there's too much hiss -- the H2's built in mic actually does a pretty good job of capturing a second source of audio. I could hook it up to a lav, but I already have a wireless system for it. Also good for micing stages as well.

Hmm... I wonder if I could take the mics, put a windscreen around them, and wire them permanently to the ceiling of the stage... anyone know of any good electronics forums?

Last edited by Brian Boyko; March 19th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey, do you still have that unhappy H2?

I'm curious about reversing the microphones so that you can see the LCD while having it mounted on a camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio