Quick headphone q. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resham Singh View Post
How about sound isolating earphones???
Shure SE210 Sound Isolating Earphones - Products
You don't want them for audio monitors.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

You mean from a technical standpoint David? - they're not as good as simple ear-sealing phones? I must say I use a pair of noise-cancelling Aiwa phones on my Z1 and feel it helps to let me her what the mics are delivering rather than what the noisy guests are delivering direct to my ears.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I don't think that isolating earphones are the best option but wanted to know if they will be good enough to monitor what the camera audio is like during the shoot without having to wear those large Sony headphones and forgive me if i am wrong but the camera audio isn't exactly top notoch CD quality and thus surely the shure SE210 would be up for the job.
p.s. I wear a turban since i am a Sikh so the earphones are my best option but just wanted to know if the are up to the job on a technical basis.
Resham Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:55 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Block View Post
Sony MDR-7506's can be had for $100 and they're an industry standard, but if you're getting a way better price on the DJ phones, it probably can't hurt to give them a shot.
Try the sony MDR-VDJ700 cans i have two sets of them and they seem to have the same drivers as the 7506 which I also have. They are a bit more robust than the 7506 and certainly sound jst as good.
Sony MDR-V700DJ Monitor Series Headphones - Compare Prices and Product Reviews
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Regular Crew

wow.....this post i found on this forum by Steve House has just melted away my ignorance on choosing headphones for camera audio monitoring.....
"Sorry, but 'audiophile' headphones such as those are a poor choice for monitoring, especially since those Bose are also 'noise reduction' headphones. The noise reduction is applying signal processing which is altering what you hear. Similarly, they are designed to shape and contour the sound so it sounds like what the manufacturer thinks people want their music to sound like. This is all well and good when you're listening to music for pleasure but that altering of the original signal is exactly what you DON'T want when you're monitoring. You need to hear the original signal as it actually is in order to evaluate it, not filtered and equalized to make it sound better than it is. The industry standard monitors, found on feature film sets the world over, are the Sony MDR7506, with Sennheiser HD25 or HD280 in second place, and a smattering of Beyerdynamics. And the Sony's cost a third, the Senny's a half, of what the Bose cost."
Resham Singh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio