anyone using pmd670, 690, 660 etc.? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

anyone using pmd670, 690, 660 etc.?

experiences?
later
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #2
Trustee

I have a 670. Do you have a specific question?
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello Bryan, I have a few general questions. Would you recommend the PMD670 as a good solution overall for double-system sound?

What drawbacks does the Marantz have? What is the product's strengths in your opinion (as opposed to something that can be read in the item description of the manufacturer's website)?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Trustee

The PMD670 has all of the strengths of any of the marantz line of professional recorders but it has the added advantage of being ablle to drag and drop the files right onto your hard drive. I have never used a mini disk but I hear the setup is easier and the response quicker with the flash recorder.

The PMD 650 mini disk and the 670 flash recorder share the same case layout and most of the features. The flash card requires less power so batteries last longer. This arguement would also hold for a maranntz CD Recorder.

The case is plastic and i would recomend the Portabrace case. I opted for extra battery carriers and just buy AA cels by the box. Eight AA cells will net 5 hours. ($2.50 or less). The carriers allow a change of batteries in seconds. The rechargeables are expensive.

The NiCad pack is $85 and can be charged using the AC adapter.
The NiMH pack is also $85 but youhave to remove the pack to charge it and the charger is around $170.

Buy batteries by the box, it's cheaper. If you must, it will take individual NiMH and NiCad's. The battery type is software selectable.

The unit is nice, but it should be for $900 (including a 1 gig card). It's very easy to operate and very flexible so far as input/output and attenuation and amplification controls are concerned.
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the detailed reply, Bryan. I get the impression you are very happy with the purchase. I was waiting for the Sound Devices 722 but that's been pushed to next year. That leaves the PMD-670. Thanks again for the tips, will definitely keep them in mind when I finally purchase one.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #6
Trustee

I have a sound devices 302 mixer and the workmanship is superb. i can imagine the Sounddevices recorder will be made in the same quality fashion.

That said. the 670 has most of the bells and whistles of the 302, plus the price of larger flash cards is sure to come down.

Yes, i am happy with my Marantz. (my SD 302 as well)
Old November 1st, 2003, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Brian, have you had any issues/trouble with syncing up long clips to the master footage? (I'm thinking of all the audio drift complaints I've read about, with clips over 20 minutes.) W/o timecode and locked sync I've been hesitant to use the Marantz over renting a DAT. I'm looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of a 100 hours of footage before my project is over next summer and I hit post. The big advatage of the Marantz of course is that I don't have to transfer the DATs or rent/buy a deck to bring it all in. As you say, compact flash makes it all economical and a snap to do, too. Just curious as to your experience.
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 07:38 PM   #8
Trustee

I haven't had any really long clips to sync. If anything I would think the flash would be more precise than a DAT. The flash recorder has no moving parts.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio