experience recording off airplane intercom? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 29th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

experience recording off airplane intercom?

Hello!

does anyone have firsthand experience recording off of the intercom on a private airplane?

there is a microphone jack and a headphone jack.

the headphone jack is amplified (i.e. there is always a volume control on the intercom system that controls the volume level)

i do a good amount of shooting in private airplanes and it would be really nice to capture the audio, otherwise all you get is a loud rumbling from the engines.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The headphone jack is a standard 1/4" 2-conductor jack. Line level out, like it would be for a standard headphone.

You can use a y-connector to split off a feed from the aircraft radio's headphone out to your headset and the camera. Just have to make certain that your camera can take a line-level signal, or you'll need to cut it down to mic level.

When I used to fly I'd hook up a portable vox-operated intercom. It had a 1/8" jack for audio out so you could record the conversation. It also had a 1/8" jack for audio in so you could play tapes. The music would automatically be cut off whenever there was a radio transmission.

Was a great little system especially on longer flights.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Major Player

ok, so if i use something like a beach tek box with the 1/8th inch input where you can select mic or line, that should work?
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The beachtek should work. Just need to adapt from the 1/4" headphone jack.

Be aware, also, that the headphone output is variable. If the pilot turns up the monitor volume on the aircraft radio then the output at the headphone jack also goes up.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Major Player

ok. in most cases the volume is separate for each outlet so that shouldn't be a problem.

i think i'll finally order a beach tek, i'm dying to shoot some in-flight video with radio chatter.

people who don't fly seem to get a kick out of it.

thanks

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio