Buying wireless gear - help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2003, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying wireless gear - help

I'm starting a wedding video business in January. Taking the plunge after doing amateur versions for a couple years for friends and family.

I know very little about wireless audio so I need help.

Previously I was using the cheap Azden VHF unit to mic the groom. Obviously I'm going to need a higher quality system.

I just bought a GL2, as well as the MA-300 XLR adapter.

My goal is to mic the groom and the minister through one of the XLR inputs while at the same time capturing audio through the on board mic or possibly external shotgun through the other XLR input.

I'll have several other cams to record room audio but I'm still curious if it can be done.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser evolution 100 system or the Samson Micro 32. Anything else I should be considering in that price range?

With these systems is it possible to capture two wireless lavs on the SAME channel to the receiver like the minister and groom without having to buy two recievers?

Would they interfere with each other?

Which is better to pick up the bride during vows, an omni or cardioid?

Also, I'd be interested to hear from other more experienced wedding videographers as to how their audio is set up during the ceremony.
Brad Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not in any order but the answers are;

Azden 500UDR-I use 2 and am very very happy with them.

Nope, got to have a receiver for each transmitter OR you'll get lots of noise on the system and it's nothing that you can fix. (they might cancel each other out)

I use Sony lavs and they work very well. I mic the groom and get the groom, bride and officiant. Mic placement can be important, I generally place it at about the same height as the grooms lapel flower. I would say buttoniere but I'm not sure how to spell buttoniere ;-)

I use 2 cameras at just about every ceremony, one unmanned and one manned ( DOH-obviously). I run the groom mic to my camera and the podium mic to the other. I'm using 2 PD150's BTW, so I also use Senn ME66's for ambient room noise/ PA system. So far for the 2 years I've been using this technique it has worked. Prior to that, well you don't want to know. Lots of equipment to carry around. BTW, there are a couple of venues I shoot at (alot) that I can plug into the sound board, in which case I forgo the shotgun on the 2nd camera and plug a 3rd receiver into that unless the cams by the board then I'll hardwire it to the board but the groom is still mic'd.
Anyway, it works for me.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:13 AM   #3
Wrangler

I like the Sennheiser Evolution 100. Its well made and pretty rugged. I don't think there is anything wrong with Sampson either though.

Two sources require two transmitters on different frequencies.

The receiver cannot differentiate between two signals on the same frequency. Chances are that that both transmitters will likely jam the receiver.

By being on two different frequencies you isolate the audio source on each frequency. That of course requires two receivers or a receiver that can receive on two separate channels simultaneously.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Good info. I think I'll start with the Senn 100 with an omni on the groom and run my old Azden VHF as a backup on the minister until I can afford to sport for another UHF unit.
Brad Carrier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio