Recommend Shockmount Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Recommend Shockmount Please

Hi All,

For my school, I'm purchasing a MKH 416 with a Rycote Softie as well as a SGM-2X also with a Softie. Each of the mics will be mounted on Gitzo poles, although I know the SGM-2x is many people's choice too for camera mounted mics.

Anyway, I was going to get the Rycote Softie that came together with a mount and boom adaptor or pistol grip (choice of either).

But I stumbled upon one of the posts here where Ken Tanaka recommends getting the Softies alone. Ken sugested a cheaper alternative mount, which was the MZS-CAM.

So i'm wondering, can anyone give some other recomendations on what shockmount to use with the 416 and the SGM respectively? The shockmounts should be comaptible with the Rycote Softies of course.

My choices so far are to get the MZS-CAM for the 416 and AT8415 for the SGM-2X.

Do thses work well together?

Thanks in advance!
Jason Soo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM   #2
Major Player

While the MZS-CAM is good for on camera use, I would not recommend it for boom pole use since it does not allow you to adjust the angle. (The Azden SGM-2X is supplied with a shock mount but it has the same problem as the MZS-CAM from sennheiser)

Instead I would use the AT8415 which is industry standard for boom pole use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=*&shs=at8415

BTW: Gitzo offers a new low cost Carbon Fiber boom which is worth a shot.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:01 PM   #3
Trustee

I'd definitely go with the AT8415 for the Azden.
And I'll throw in my usual comment about the AT8415. You must criss-cross the horizontal bands to build up enough support for most mics.
This is especially true of heavier mics like the 416, which some people are only comfortable putting in a more substantial and expensive mount like the Rycote.
For the moment, you could get one AT8415 for the Azden and try it with the 416 as well. If you aren't satisfied, get the mount from Rycote specifically for the 416. Even if you get two 8415's and then later got the Rycote, you can always find a use for the AT. They're great for all kinds of situations.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I would also suggest the AT8415 with the K-Tek K-SUS suspenders which is far superior in every way then the Band that are supplied with the AT8415.

www.mklemme.com/pole/ksus.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=300643&is=REG

Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Note on MZS Cam

I've posted in here about the MZS Cam before, saying it works well but the plastic mount is a real liability. I even predicted mine would crack. Sure enough. It did. I would avoid this thing.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #6
New Boot

What about the MZS20-1 Combo Mount/Grip/Stand for Me66? Anyone using it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio