Is my sound card kaputt? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 16th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is my sound card kaputt?

This may seem a little off topic - but I've looked around the net and have yet to find anything close to an answer for this, so I figured that someone on my fav forum may have some advice!

I have a Sony VAIO RX model, which number, I can't remember (purchased Summer '02). It came with a stock sound card, so I'm guessing it's cheap. I looked and I think it's an SiS 7012 wave card. The problem is that after prolonged periods of use (either my computer on, or playing music/editing audio) the sound becomes metallic like. It's not horrible to the point where I want to turn off my speakers, but its still there. I've checked to see if it's my altec lansing 2100 speakers by turning them off and on again, but the sound is still there. I've also bypassed the speakers totally by using my Sony MDR-V600 headphones, and the sound is still there, so it must be the soundcard. When I restart my computer the metallic sound goes away. I have no idea what's going on here, but I'd like to know so I can fix this little annoyance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Devin Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

Sounds like a heat issue or driver bug to me.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob, I'll look into that!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio