Lavalier question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 26th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Lavalier question

Can anyone recommend a good lavalier that runs off of plug in power from a Sony minidisc? All of the professional lavs I've seen require phantom power and would probably be too hot for my purposes. I want to put the minidisc in a groom's pocket and put the lav on his lapel to record the vows, so this means no room for pre-amp or attenuator cables or anything. Sony makes a lav for their minidiscs, but I don't have a lot of faith in them.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I bought a clip omni directional microphone from Radio Shack, it's a mono with battery, but I cut the switch with battery and replaced the connector with a stereo mini-plug and works really good with my new MZ-N707 mini disc recorder. I set the record mode to LP2, 160 minutes for 80 blank MD.
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #3
Major Player

http://www.soundprofessionals.com

Have a look here.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've been looking at the Sound Professionals microphones. Do you have any experience with them? I don't know of anyone who has used their stuff, but it looks to be pretty good quality.
Old October 26th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Microphonemadness.com makes real good stuff. if you are looking for higher quality they also offer mics that are made with Sennheiser Capsules
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #6
Trustee

Anyone know the exact voltage coming to a mic from a minidisc?
Is this something listed in the specs of the owners manual? I'm in the same situation of trying to use a minidisc with a mic requiring power, as I've been told by an audio guy that all dynamic lavs are terrible, atleast in comparison to condenser.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Marco I have no experience with the SP's mics but have been looking at them my self as well. I know the higher end use Audio-Technica capsules and all the mics seem to be well built.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I cut the wire going to the power module of my Sony ECM55 to make it MD compliant. After cutting it I put a mini-XLR connector at each end so I can use the ECM in two modes :
- Battery powered (XLR mode)
- Mini-Disc powered (MD mode)

It's been working very well
Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

Sony makes a fairly nice lav that has a removable power module. The MD recorder (3 Volts, usually) will supply the power for the microphone. $45 at B&H.

Sony ECM-T145

Good for voice. Not great on level overloads like hanging one in front of a speaker.
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dany,
Really? That's wild! But maybe a little too adventurous for me. :)

I may give the ECM-T145 a try. At $45, it seems like a good place to start. Thanks Mike.
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Marco,

It's really not that hard, you should try because that will enable you to use some pretty good lavalier.

Check out the PDF below. I'm preparing a couple of articles to present the different custom cables I've been building over the years for the microphone, light...

http://www.natzo.com/hardware/ECM.pdf

For other brand/models of lavalier you can go to Lectrosonic website. They have the pinout for almost all lavaliers.
Adding the mini-XLR connector gives you a lot of flexibility (Mini-Disc, Power module, UHF module).

Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio