Small capsule hypercardoid/cardoid mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 1st, 2003, 10:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Small capsule hypercardoid/cardoid mics

Jay had posted that he really liked his Rode NT3. Dave was talking about his Rode stereo NT4. rather than hijack the ME66 thread I've started this one.

I have lavolieres, a dynamic ENG , a boundary and a K6/ME66 shotgun. I've also bought a 302 sound devices mixer as well as a maranzt flash recorder. both of these have mic preamps, limiters and 48 volt phantom. This opens up a whole new world .

I've been wanting to buy a small capsule condenser cardoid or hypercardoid for use in close interview situations. I'd also wondered how well the various stereo mics worked as well but let take the cardoids and hypercardoids first.

I had heard wonderous things about the Oktava 012 kit. The Oktava is a Russian built small capsule , condenser mic. It comes in a kit with an omni, cardoid and hypercardoid capsule and a 10db pad. the components are also available separately. the 012 is 48 volt phantom only. The mic has received rave reviews but is also under a cloud of supicion so far as it's quality is concerned.

Apparently the QC rejects find there way out the back door and are flogged out of discount audio dealers for a fraction of their value.

I'm looking at this mic and the Rode NT3 Hyper Cardoid. The NT3 is an Australian made 3/4" true condenser mic and operated on phantom or 9v battery. It's also very reasonable.

I wonder if anyone Jay and Dave included would comment on these mics. I would prefer to boom mount them over the talent. In some istances maybe have the mic in view. I had also heard that bothe mics were ok as voice over.

While we're at it i had also wondered if the Rode 1A was usable as an interview mic. I realize it's a larger diaphram side address but as a hypercardoid it still should work in an interview situation.

When I do buy more mics and I do get more use out of my recent aquisitions i will be sharing. On that you can bet your housecat.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Pardon all the questions, but...you mentioned the AKG D230 in the other thread--what specialized use would you be utilizing that one for, compared to the others mentioned? What is its power source?

Right now I have an ME64 and ME66, which seems an all purpose starting point in Audio Adventureland. How would you still use them, say, in a secondary/multi-mic setup? Maybe my ears aren't as finely tuned yet, but I've been reasonably pleased so far with them. Then too, it must be fun comparing the nuances of your gathered collection!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Barry
Simply put, I'm a gear slut. I had thought of buying another mic to use with my K6 module, but figgered i'd do more research.

The AKG D230 is a Dynamic that's voice tuned for ENG. I needed it for a large social gathering. I figured it would be better in a noisy ambient and if some one did use it as a swizzle stick it would be less of a loss.
It was $140 Canadian and i bought it purely on spec and impulse. i'm glad I did as it's got a fairly decent output for a dynamic and the sound quality actually is better than the ME66 (my opinion) I've used it wired and with my Sennheiser wireless xmitter.

I don't really need anything but i really would like a mic (condenser hypercardoid) that sounded more natural indoors in a a confined setting. My ME66 is OK but not really suited, like I said I'm adicted. The ME64 capsule would most likely be a wise choice for me.

I have started to doubleup on my recording. One moc connected to the camera with a backup on the recorder. the benifit to thi is not missing any lost verbage. Very often the best stuff comes out when the camera is off. I record the audio on the flash recorder continuously.

People often see the tally light out on the camera and then feel they can open up. This way i have every sylable :)))
Old November 2nd, 2003, 02:09 PM   #4
Major Player

I myself use the "it's only on pause" trick. :)
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 02:17 PM   #5
Wrangler

I looked at the Octavia but finally went with the AT 4043 for serious voice work (my level of serious). I already had the Shure SM81C which is a marvelous if somewhat expensive microphone. I am constantly surprised at how well it does on a a wide range of applications.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:05 PM   #6
Major Player

check out schoeps. I use an mk41 and an mk5 switchable two-pattern: cardiod/omnidirectional; axial (front) pickup.

They're expensive, but will hold their value if well cared for.
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Trustee

I can't find the AT4043. Was that a typo???
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:35 PM   #8
Wrangler

Indeed.

Should have typed 4033/SE

Sorry about that.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Trustee

Mike, I wonder if you could coment further on the AT4033. You mentioned that it was useful through a wide range of applications.

B&H has them for $370 with a $25 mail in rebate.

John
What's the ball park price on an MK41? I'm trying a few searches with no luck so far.

Thanks
Bryan
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:24 PM   #10
Wrangler

I think I talked B&H into a $275 price tag at NAB a year ago. I thought it was a fairly good deal. But that was over 18 months ago and at my age memory is, well . . .

The microphone is quite sensitive, has a good (for my ears) reproduction of voice for voice-overs (which is why I bought it). It is also good with guitar and violin (again, to me) and I've used it in that baffle box I think you've seen, to record groups in a rehersal hall for a commercial. It can handle high SPLs without coming apart.

I like it a lot but if I had to chose between it an the Shure SM81C, I'd take the Shure every day. It is smaller, much less delicate and has a broader application. I could easily use it for voice-over but the looks of the 4033 make the voice-over talent feel better which is one reason I bought it.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:59 AM   #11
Major Player

Try www.coffeesound.com

I bought mine used from a private party. They are expensive, but will last forever and hold their value. new they are around $600 for the capsule and 450 for the preamp....

I know.... I know... I had a hard time justifying that amount on a mic but they really are great mics. For indoor voice, I think they are among the best. Outdoor, I prefer a senn416.

Ask Jay Rose about the mk41.

Best,

john
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #12
Boss Hog

The current model number for the AT4033 is AT4033/CL.

After the 10'th anniversery special edition of the AT4033 (Thats where the SE came from). A-T eliminated the wooden presentation case and changed the model number to AT4033/CL (for Classic).

This current model is available from a wide variety of music and pro-sound dealers.

You may also consider the AT4040 or the AT4047/SV. Both are exceptional mics.
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #13
Wrangler

Too bad about them dropping the wooden case. I like to pull it out in front of the client/narrator. They think it must be at least a $2,000 microphone!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio