me66/k6 shock mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 4th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #1
New Boot

me66/k6 shock mount?

I was wondering... does the Sennheiser ME66 comes with an on-camera shock mount? From the images, it looks like it only has a pole mount. I know on-camera mounting is frowned upon, but I'd like the option.

If it doesn't come with one, does anyone have suggestions as to where I could get a good shock mount? Thanks.
Robert Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Robert,

The 66/K6 combo doens't usually come with any mount at all. As a minimum, you an use a beyerdynamic EA 86 shock mount but you'll also need to budget for a windscreen if you're even thinking about using it outside. Rycote seems to have the best reputation (and of course, highest cost) but others are out there.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #3
Trustee

I use an AT8415 shock mount ($50)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=68143&is=REG

The 8515 is versatile in that it will hold mics of .5" diameter to 2.13". the 8415 is ideal on a boom pole or a camera hot shoe.

You will need a shoe adapter to screw onto the bottom of the 8415( $10 )
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=68160&is=REG
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

ok i've been looking at the me-66 with the k6 combo pistol grip etc.

so the at8415 would work along with the above mentioned shoe adaptor so i could put it on top of a pd-170 or dvx-100?

it says that the k6 pistol grippy thing is adaptable to a boom-pole, is there a specific mount/model that is needed? i know squat about boom poles.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes the AT8415 will work on any shoe mount when used with the Audio Technica shoe adapter.

Remote Audio makes a very nice grip that will attach to the shock mount (or any other mount with a 3/8 thread) and also has a thread on the bottom that will allow you to use it on a boom pole without having to remove the grip first.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...*&shs=auat8415

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68160&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=283348&is=REG
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Matthew de Jongh : it says that the k6 pistol grippy thing is adaptable to a boom-pole, is there a specific mount/model that is needed? -->>>

I believe you reffer to the Rycote pistol grip. If so, the grip has a 3/8 thread and will mount to all popular boom poles on the market (K-Tek, VDB, Gitzo, Beyerdynamics)
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Major Player

yeah, the rycote/me-66/k6 bundle

thanks for the links, that helps a lot. you have stuff i couldn't find on bh's site

i called on the phone to ask a few questions but they seem as though they either want you to just have the part # and be ready to order or just come down to the showroom.

i'm trying to do as much research as i can before i show up down there, because i just KNOW it will be overwelming with all the toys and gadgets there!

now i just need to find a decent bracket to hold the sennheiser wireless system on the camera. the bracket1 looks decent but kind of a clunky design.

may just have to make my own.

matthew
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #8
Major Player

The Bracket 1 is not as clunky as it looks on the picture. It actually looks very good on the DVX-100 and PD-150 (I believe the PD-170 has the same footprint as the PD-150) and is only 8.2 oz.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

bracket1 is far from clunky. nice bit of kit. good price, too - the BEC piece is 200+ and on the DVX it puts your RX a long way from the XLRs.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #10
Wrangler

Try calling Light Wave System if you want some good help. They make everything you need for the 66.

Do be careful with the length of the microphone. It can intrude into the camera's field of view. Especially with wide angle adapters.
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #11
Major Player

The bracket 1 can also accommodate the BEC wireless receiver mounting boxes which protects the receiver and also looks more professional.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...x+for+Mounting
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #12
Trustee

The Mini Rover will give you a very balanced grip as well a means to carry a shotgun mic and a radio receiver. See the example at the bottom of this page(link).

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/videosmith.html

Don't let the pricing give you heart failure, it's in Canadian $. This is for illustration only. It's $50 from B&H and the adapter plate for the receiver is around $15. I can mount my AT 8415 shock mount and Velcro my Sennheiser receiver to the mini mate .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=194070&is=REG

I use this grip on a VX2000 and it allows me to get a solid grip on the camera, with my elbows tight against my upper body. The camera moves with your upper torso. No shake at all.

The Bracket 1 is nice but you still have nothing to hang onto. Try it , you'll like it.

Do a search in Support your cam.
Old December 25th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #13
Major Player

well the rover confuses me, the grip is above the horizontal bar that connects to the tripod screw hole...

so you have your right hand on the camera in the normal position, and then you have your left hand up high to hold the handle?

this seems awkward to me.

i could see it a bit more if the handle went down from the cross bar, it bugs me that the pictures of it are never showing it in real use.

matthew
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #14
Trustee

Holding a camera attached to the mighty wondercam mini rover, you will have both arms and elbows tucked into your body very tightly, forming an extremely rigid , yet flexible support.
If you search this fully I don't really know if i get any more in depth but it works. Others have verified it. Order one and take a chance.
email me at bbeasleigh at rogers dot com and we can talk.

No sense in dragging the online experience on.

Those that have tried it have always agreed.
Old December 26th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #15
Trustee

I agree that most users of the Mini Rover like it. However, the grip that I built out of parts works like Matthew suggests, with the vertical grip directly below the center of gravity of the whole rig.
Advantage of Mini Rover: It looks professionally made and comes ready to use and you can sit the camera directly down on a flat surface.
Advantage of my rig: It cost about $18 and is better balanced. It also takes up very little space once you unscrew the handle, which you have to do to sit the rig on a flat surface. You can also substitute longer handles for raising the camera above your head or a medium handle for use while sitting in a chair. People have also mentioned that they use a monopod to accomplish something similar but that's limited on where your center of gravity is. I have a lot of audio gear attached, so I needed to be able to shift the mounting point.
So if you like to tinker, go to a pro still-camera shop and look at all their flash brackets. I used a simple flat one and added a table-leg-bracket-plate and a rigged BMX bike grip handle so I can adapt to the center of gravity by shifting the mounting point.
If you don't like to build things yourself, buy the Mini Rover or one of the right-angle flash brackets that are similar in shape.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio