Wireless Mic Package recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Mic Package recommendations?

Hello.

I think it is time for me to add wireless mic's to my arsenal. One would be ok, two would be better of course but I would like good quality, so if that is starting with one, then so be it.

Could you guys suggest a wireless mic system in the range of $700-800?
Also maybe a set that's 800-1,100?

I shoot on a PMW-EX1 in case that info is needed. And I am looking for a 'package' deal where everything is included (mic/transmitter/xlrs...etc.)

Thanks!!
nick
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Nick
I think many will agree the Sennheiser G2 (or perhaps even better the new G3) system are probably the best and most reliable system for the money on the market... I've got 2 of the G2's and they have been faultless for 4 years...

Cheers
Gareth
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Buy the Lectrosonics 100 Series - Wireless UHF Lavalier Microphone System, this is a major step up to a top of the line unit.

I would also consider buying a lectrosonic wireless system from Ebay before another brand.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

In the 7-800 range, you should be able to get a G2 and a Countryman B6 to replace the stock mic.
Jordan Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Major Player

The new Sennheiser G3 camera receiver is now diversity - should be available in about a couple of months.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Lectrosonics is an excellent brand, and the choice of professionals the world over. It's just out of your price range. A Lectrosonics 100 Series with the needed XLR cable would run you around $1,300 at B&H.

The Sennheiser G2 is the first step down from Lectrosonics. I use two of the G2's and one of the Lectro's, and find they work with about the same quality. You can get a Sennheiser for about $550, and spend a couple hundred on a very nice microphone.

Tram, Countryman or Sanken will set you back between $300 and $500. There's an incredible Dan Brockett article on lav mics which sounds like good reading for you.

I'd suggest the G2 and a great mic, with an eye toward a 400 series Lectro as your needs increase. (I skip over the 100 because it's only nominally better in my experience, but the 400 gives you some crazy wonderful features...including a receiver which can accept BDS distributed power.)
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just for the sake of completeness, a bunch of pros swear by Zaxcom. If you think Lectro has a spendy price, you may want to take cardiac medication before looking at Zaxcom.
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Suggestions in the lower range

Hi All,

Anyone have suggestions for the lower range. Like $200 - $500 for a wedding videographer. Mostly to capture vows. Would like something that is flexible to record reception music. Also suggestions on shotgun mics are welcome.

HMC150
Steve Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Sony's UWP series equipment was upgraded approximately 6-9 months ago (I have a bad memory).

I have the UWP-V6 kit, and I like it quite a bit. So if you need something right away and you don't want to wait for the G3 kit to ship, then I think you should get comparable results with Sony's new UWP-V series kits.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Get as much money as you can together and buy off of Ebay. Stay with companies with good feedback and know what you are buying. For $600 I can get a Sennhieser GS wireless system, lavalier mic and a shotgun mic.
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That's good advice, and a great shopping list.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyer View Post
Get as much money as you can together and buy off of Ebay. Stay with companies with good feedback and know what you are buying. For $600 I can get a Sennhieser GS wireless system, lavalier mic and a shotgun mic.
Be *VERY* careful - there are loads of crappy fakes floating around, even from people with good feedback.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have heard of fakes from foreign sellers but have yet to come across Sennheiser fakes here in the States.

I would like to hear from buyers here if they have purchased a fake unit.

I do not ever purchase electronics from a seller from out of the country.
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyer View Post
I have heard of fakes from foreign sellers but have yet to come across Sennheiser fakes here in the States.

I would like to hear from buyers here if they have purchased a fake unit.

I do not ever purchase electronics from a seller from out of the country.
You are lucky.

In the UK there were people who bought cheap fakes in bulk and then sold them on from a UK address, making them look genuine.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #15
Inner Circle

On eBay there were what I call crooks - flogging dodgy Sennheisers at cheap prices. People who buy these are often ignorant and just get off on the good deal aspect. The kit lights up and works, but the quality is hardly better than the cheap karaoke ones sold for just a very small amount of money. eBay also had genuine sellers selling for maybe £20-30 less than the price in the local shop. What seems to be happening now is that the counterfeit kit is being advertised at the nearly full price, making people think it is genuine, or they are splitting the packs up and selling the transmitter, then the receiver - as 'spare' parts. Some people are getting conned, others are just willing counterfeit purchasers, who I suspect sell the kit on themselves as genuine if they want to make a profit!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio