Mic Mixer ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Mic Mixer ?

My first post...

I'm looking for a compact battery powered field mixer that could input 3-4 XLR mics, and output them to 1-2 XLR for input to a Panny DVC80. I'd like the mixer to have VU, level control for each input, and 1-2 headphone outputs with volume adjustment. Oh, and I'd like to get it for under $100.

j/k about the price, snicker, snicker.

Thanks...
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Have a look at the Sound devices line . I own the 302 and it has almost anything you could look for. if 3 inputs aren't enough you can go to the 442. The equipment isn't cheap but you get a very good bang for your buck. The stuff is built like a brick sh!t house.

http://www.sounddevices.com/
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

There is a reasonable match to what you want if you are willing to buy used.

The Shure 267 mixer has 4 XLR inputs, phantom, line and mic XLR output, VU meter, Tone, low freq roll-off, microphone output with level control Runs off 3 X 9 volt batteries or can plug into the wall.

They can be stacked for more inputs via a RCA connection.

Cost used - $100 to $150 depending on condition.

Not super quiet but superb on-location. It is about 3 inches thick, 8 inches deep and about 12 inches wide.

I use them (I have 2) about as frequently as I do my Shure FP32.
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Wondering if images can be linked, like on some other BB's I hang out at?

http://www.shure.com/photos/bigones/fp33big.jpg
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Wrangler

As soon as you get into the FP33 class of product, most of the pro sound guys would argue that there are better products available.
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Mike, I won't be spending that kind of money on a mixer just yet. Heck, I'm not even sure I need one. If I do, it'll be something like a $99 Behringer of Rolls from Guitar Center. Right now, since I just finished the first draft of my first screenplay, I'm more concered about getting a camera and how I'm going to get good sound.

As long as I'm rambling...

I've got a Shure SM58 from my guitar kit I can use for narration and voice overs. I was looking at an AT 835b on a boom for speaking parts (indoords and out), but it's a simple film and I could put a lav on each actor (never more than 2 in any scene) and obviate the need for a boom operator. I have a few shots of a Jeep driving into the scene with the radio blaring. I'd like to get the sounds of the tires rolling, the engine/brakes, and the radio (getting louder as it approaches the camera), I don't know how to pull that off yet, still searching the archives. Maybe with a shotgun on the camera and ride the gain, I dunno?

Then there's the whole area of camera support. Of course, I'd like to pan/track/crane to keep things interesting. A Steadicam sequence would be nice, but probably not worth the equipment expense at this point.

Geez, video is lots more complicated then still work :~)
Old December 7th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #7
Wrangler

Capturing all of those sounds of the car is difficult and probably would have to be foleyed anyway.

Actually, one of the lavs will capture the car approach with a reasonable degree of success. Add the manipulation you will have to apply in post and it won't sound half-bad.

The 835B will work well but remember that to the cost of the microphone, you will have to add the cost of the boom and then you will have to protect the microphone from wind noise. That's at least $150 for one of the shorty wind muffs from Light Wave or someone else. Plus a shock mount.

I'd experiment with a Lav with a wind sock on it. You get 2 lav socks for $50 from Trew Audio and others.

Furthermore, if your two characters are close together, you can get by with just a single lav. I've been using a radio lav to capture the sound of two actors for some time. Weddings too. It works fine.

The 58 will work OK for narration but you may find that you want a 'real' studio microphone for that. Rent a studio and engineer and equipment for that. You will be happy you did and the pressure will be a whole lot less.
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #8
Trustee

<<<-- Geez, video is lots more complicated then still work :~) -->>>

It is. Go here have a look at this audio tutorial:

http://www.preciseaudio.com/Technical_1.htm

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Carlos, that's a very informative link!
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #10
Wrangler

Don't miss the Shure tutorials on their web site.
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #11
Major Player

If you occasionally need to capture special effects like car approaching etc and you are having difficulties you may want to consider getting the Sonomic Card as it will give you access to a huge sound effect collection.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=254682&is=REG

www.sonomic.com
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio