Help with Sony lavalier at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 4th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Help with Sony lavalier

Just bought a Sony ECM-T145 lav to go with my Sony MZS-N10 mini-disc, and it isn't working at all. Sound is extremely distorted. I've tried it on manual and auto, with high sensitivity and low sensitivity, and can't record a damn thing with it. The sound isn't just kind of bad -- it sounds like a poker card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. On manual, with the gain nearly turned off, it's a little better, but the audio gets swallowed up by background hiss and it's still distorted. The weird thing is that the signal doesn't seem to be overloading the input, at least it isn't on the meter. Anyone have any ideas? This thing is supposed to run on plug in power. It can also use a battery, which I haven't had a chance to try. Would that help?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

Sounds broken. Mine works perfectly with my mini-disk and with 1/8" input Sony cameras.
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Rats. You think it's likely to be the minidisc or the microphone? Just talked to B&H, and the guy there was skeptical that the microphone would work with plug in power at all.
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, I noticed that the battery was kind of low when I first tested this lav, so I charged it up, and it works a lot better know. Maybe the minidisc didn't have the 3 volts to spare? Doh! Also tried the optional power source and that works even better. The mic is still pretty prone to distortion. I can't let it peak more than half way on the meter, but at least I can get some useable sound.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yea, it doesn't take a lot of overpressure. I use it as the backup with minidisk for wedding ceremonies. It has always worked flawlessly.

My first microphone of choice is the ME2 which is supplied with the Sennheiser Evolution 100 wireless setup. I have a spare one of the ME2 microphone so I should attempt to plug it into the MD and see if it will work.

The reason the battery Power Supply is removable is exactly for use with devices like the Sony that are capable of supplying the excitor voltage.
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #6
Trustee

Out of curiosity, where do you place the minidisc at your weddings?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #7
Wrangler

On the Officiant if possible. Either in a pocket or hung off a belt.

I have had to put in on a mic stand with a shotgun when the person refused to wear one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio