good non-wireless lavalier? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Major Player

good non-wireless lavalier?

Hello.

i am thinking of picking up a lavalier mic that is not wireless.

what is a good lav that has xlr?

price range $300 or less

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use the Sony ECM-44B. Sound quality is very good, the model has been around for years, it's good value for money and well within your price range.
-- Allen
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Trustee

I have the ecm44 but much prefer the AT899. It's all a matter of personal preference. I find the AT to be a richer more full sound.. So far we're in the price range anyway. The ECM44 uses a 1.5 volt battery and i beeive is around $180 at B&H. The AT899 is $200 and uses battery or phantom.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=266176&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=49318&is=REG

here's a review http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_item.jhtml?category=Hardware&LookupId=/xml/review/garrett0803
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks for the two recommendations.

using phantom power is a big plus

what is the real difference between the two as far as one has a power supply and the other doesn't, if i'm going to use phantom power does it matter??

i got a ton of batteries for my dvx-100 from www.dvxuser.com so i'd rather use that source than carry more batteries than i need to!

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:43 PM   #5
Trustee

For wired use with phantom power, you must have the "power supply" for the mic. This is kind of a confusing name, the power supply utilizes the phantom power coming from the camera or mixer. Depending on the model of lav, it may also allow the use of an internal battery. Having phantom power on from the camera is a minimal extra drain.
Just be certain not to order the version of the lav that's terminated for use with a wireless transmitter. Those versions lack a power supply and the XLR connector. The wireless transmitter supplies power, but wireless use is all it's good for.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Both links that i included were for models with the power module and terminated with XLR's
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #7
Major Player

the laviars wich use with fr wierless or linear use are same
the only thing that change is the bias voltage that can be usially 1.5 and 10 v
the mike will change its characteristics by the voltage that had been supplied to the mike
the sn and the spl migt be better with hier woltage
if you will check the spefications with preamps wich have battery and phantom power abillity you will see that the phantomnumbers is alwais better and it mostly comming from bias convertion from 48 to mike bias voltage
each hard wier mike( lav ) can be converted for wierless use in the futur
if you are looking for good mike in a nice price i can recomend emv from countryman its comes in few versions with picked hi ( for under clothes posision) or flat and in few colors
the hard wiered mike come only with 52-12 to bias convertion sircuet
inside the xlr
but if you need power your mike with battery only the audio technica box is a nice thing, it s working with 1.5 battery as well and has lo cut filter the imike input is threw 3 pin mini xlr
i think that you can order that mike with 3 pin mini xlr ( i think is the shure model) but i dont sure if the legs configuration is right for at box
another good one is sanken coss 11 that is about 350$
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #8

good non-wireless lavalier?

Dont forget the Audio Technica 831b, which while quite inexpensive, is an amazing mic. About 120.00 at most music stores. Has a battery back on the cable for phantom, lo cut switch, and virtually indestructible.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio