PD150 Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 5th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PD150 Audio

I have been shooting weddings for about a year now...have 5 under my belt. My biggest problem is audio...I find myself adjusting the audio gain manually constantly..if if forget, then my audio is too low. I am pretty good with the MIC ATT switch, but my audio levels are never too consistent. This is more of a problem at the reception, where I may walk around and the DJ/Band might change their volumes also.

My question is, can I get away with AGC ????....I was thinking of just turing MIC ATT on and off as needed, and letting AGC take care of the volume adjustment. Any experienced users have tips/tricks ???

Thanks in advance.
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The main problem you'll run into, is hearing the levels of background noise change. This will be apparent both during pauses (in speach) and when different people talk at different levels (in a conversation). If you only use the snippets of natsound that are interesting and notable, then you will probably get away with it. This may be the case with a reception, if you edit almost like a music video, and then pop in nats when someone says something interesting or a you can hear a kiss or a glass breaking. Probably when you know you want to use full segments of dialogue, like toasts or the ceremony, it's worth the trouble to keep your cans on and keep your thumb near the gain control.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Lester,
If you search the forum for PD150 audio, you'll find many many threads and posts about this subject. Both Mike R. and myself as well as many other fine folk here have posted numerous different ways we handle audio with the PD150.

I think the best thing to do is read those and then play with the camera-make sure you use decent headphones and try AGC,try manual, mic,micatt,different levels, different channels, and make note of what you are doing. Tape the trials, load it into your NLE and see (hear) what you've got.

Remember, nothing will be 100% perfect for every occassion.

Since I switched to the PD150's I've done over 120 weddings and I had BAD audio on only ONE and that was entirely MY fault. I've had a couple that were kind of marginal but workable (I'm speaking of receptions-not ceremonies)
If you practice with the camera you can get great audio.

Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Major Player

There is no agc on that camera only hard limiter,so the automatic gain control is not exist ,one thing that you can do is to add external compressor limmiter ( i sow a box that calls pitch box or something like that)
that way you can fly in automatic way and probably get some results
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #5
Trustee

There is an AGC on it - you have to look through the menu options. Get in there under the audio area and you'll find it...you can turn off the AGC in there.

However, I recommend leaving the audio channels "Seperate". That's a menu option in there too. If you keep the channels seperate its easier to monitor the audio and you can actually change the input volume while you record.

Murph
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #6
Major Player

i know the letters i have this camera but it only a limmiter, its not ampliifing low input ,the level is depend on how is hot your signal
try to put agc and then take the att down 20 db see what happend- nothing
dont belive everithing that sony advertize :-)
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

OLeg,
Check your camera. Even though I use manual audio control I have tried the AGC which DOES exsist and when the switch is in the MIC ATT position the level is dropped by 20 db across the board. Of course when in AGC you can only drop the level by the mic/micatt switch.
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Major Player

the agc is automatic gane control soif you have very low level of signal the circuit will pull it up ( the beta recorders are the best example ) and if you have to loud that comming it will depress the signal and will limiting it
the 150 is only limmiting the signal
automatic gain control its no automatic limiter is much what does it do i think that the avx have alc that doing the same auto limiter control that sits 4.5 db fs befor the digital zero i dont remember where is the sony point
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio