wireless lapel on a budget--is it real - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:52 PM   #31
Major Player

Samson Airline Micro.

Be aware, the power in this series is barely sufficient. Anything beyond 3 or 4 feet will be too soft to be made "normal", w/o hissing.

I got tons of these babies.

I have been wondering why couldn't we do cheap production by having all the characters wear one of these combo mic-transmitter. It is so small. If it was Star Trek, then it could be explain (i.e. their visual presence) as their communicators.

Just a mixer, re-transmit to the cameras. No boom pole, no soundman, no hanging mic. Simple.

Now, I need a large warehouse, some hot lights, some furnitures, a bunch of comedians-wannabees who will work for free...
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:03 PM   #32
Trustee

Law,
I really don't understand your post and your references to comedians, et cetera. I haven't noticed any problems with the Airline. Everyone else seems to think it works great.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:21 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi Law:

I'm in the DFW area. If you're unhappy with the Samsons, would you consider selling me 2-3 of them?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:32 PM   #34
Trustee

You'd think if he's got so many of the systems and
he's so unhappy with them he'd be glad to unload
a few. Dan, let us know how many you pick up
from Law.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:40 AM   #35
Major Player

Dave--to really make wireless worth the leap I'd like the option of having a confident range of up to 25 feet if necessary, though 15 feet would be the most likely limit.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:53 PM   #36
Trustee

Barry,
Like I've said, I've used it at 50 feet, with the speaker in another room.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:44 PM   #37
Major Player

Well, that's really excellent by my standards. :D
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #38
Major Player

Hi again, Dave. Have an iRiver question which you mentioned earlier in this thread. I went to their website and it seems to tout it as more of a player, as opposed to a recorder, almost like the iPod, so while I like the price, would it be audio of the same quality as say the Marantz PMD 670? The latter is marketed as true DAT quality audio. Also, whereas the PMD uses removeable compact flash cards (which has its positives and negatives in my book... had a compact flash card failure last year with my Canon, so I don't trust them 100%) it appears the iRiver uses strictly internal storage. I could have misunderstood what I read, but assuming I didn't, how much, how long do you think I could record with the iRiver if it's only internal, and at what quality of audio? Again, the Marantz gives you a variety of options as to what kinds of files you record, changing significantly the amount of space taken up. Then again, the Marantz is a whole lot more $$.
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #39
Major Player

Check out the AKG PR40, Divesity, Wireless Receiver. it is available with snap on transmitter or with MicroPen lavalier for about $269 or £204 my side of the pond. I have placed a posting asking if any body has any practical experience of this set up. I think at the price I am going to try it. Check it out here. http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,15,id,287,pid,287,_language,EN.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio