Camera-mounted wireless headphone set-up? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Camera-mounted wireless headphone set-up?

Is there a wireless product that would plug a camera mounted transmitter into the headphone jack of my camcorder, and then use a receiver on my belt, that I'd plug my Sony phones into?

I good use for such a product would be audio monitoring while using a steadicam, or letting a boompole operator move about more freely.

Thanks...
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM   #2
New Boot

I can think of a couple solutions off the top of my head:

1) Use a wireless hearing-assistance device. Most transmitters are meant to be plugged into a wall outlet, but some are meant for a tour guide to talk to tourists that wear the receivers. Try http://www.williamssound.com/Products/TGS100.html

2) If you're on a tight budget, you can find a $20 FM transmitter (sold at Target and Radio Shack) and a cheap walkman for a receiver.

Also, Shure makes some wireless in-ear monitoring systems, which might work for you.
Miquel de Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

wireless tie clips

There are usually cheap FM wireless tie clip mikes on Ebay. Though you can plug any small mic jac into the transmitter. Ie from a mic or even the headphone out on your camera. You can get a green and a red, on different bands. My friend has a pair that work really well. I have a pair, one works really well. The other poorly. They are ok i guess, fine for monitoring, or communicating between each other using a cheap walkman, or mini disk as a device for recieving. They are mono though, and the attached battery pack has a belt clip, i suppose it would have to be taped up somewhere if you were monitoring a sound man or camera on a crane or something. You could use them as a mic wired to the camera too, although youd be better making a wire up so you can wear the reciever unit on a belt, as to let the antena, which is a wire, hand loose. They are good for static work, but i would be uncomfortable with them on the move, as you may pick up a local radio station and spoil your audio!
Someone i know bought some 'gemini' UHF radio mics. The quality was fantastic, no inteference at all. But they were expensive (£189 each), and required mains supply for a reciever) Again its worth baring in mind that usually if you but a radio mic set up, the actual microphone itself can be changed or replaced. If you have a small transmitter unit with a wired mic attached it means you can get directional audio from the oposite side of the room to where your camera may be by leaving a mic over there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio