DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Best way to record sounds of nature?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/209527-best-way-record-sounds-nature.html)

Jonathan Morrow June 17th, 2009 06:17 AM

Hi John, I have the AKG blueline series CK91/94 MS combination, they can be fitted with extension cables so the ball gag would be OK. However, its 170 quid for the extension cables, so even though I have one already I don't think I will save much by going down that route, though I suppose I wouldn't have to use the connbox... Rycote is the only option, is that confirmed? Cheers, Jon.

Ty Ford June 21st, 2009 01:23 PM

The new Audio Technica BP4025 sounds very nice!

Listen: http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/ambi08.wav

Regards,

Ty Ford

Dave Tyrer June 24th, 2009 06:59 AM

I've just purchased a Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo and Edirol R09HR recorder for doing the same type of thing...I'll let you know what it's like when I've tested it.

Jeff Kellam June 24th, 2009 09:37 AM

Go to a pet store or a zoo with a walk in aviary. You can get within a foot of all kinds of birds that way.

Or get some bird control netting (dirt cheap) and set up a tent trap. Then you can poke the suckers with the mic to get some sound out of them.

Dave Tyrer June 25th, 2009 07:29 AM

Tried my R09HR/ME66 combo last night and it is very sensitive and records very well indeed. Although the birdsong was recorded very clear it also picked up traffic noise from a motorway nearly a mile away so I will retest over the weekend in a nature reserve. It was quite windy yesterday and the velour windshield didn't work too well so I've ordered a Rycote Softie to use instead. The recorder itself is great and with an even more directional mic it would be exceptional. There is also a bass roll off switch on the ME66 which I didn't have switched on last night, but it will be next time I test.

Ty Ford June 25th, 2009 08:09 AM

Dave,

The ME66 is a "student-grade" mic. I'm sure you'll get something with it, but were you to rent a Schoeps CMIT or Neumann RSM 191 against which to compare it, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Dave Tyrer June 25th, 2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 1163299)
Dave,

The ME66 is a "student-grade" mic. I'm sure you'll get something with it, but were you to rent a Schoeps CMIT or Neumann RSM 191 against which to compare it, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Thanks Ty...as I'm only just learning about video and audio it looks like I made the right choice :) I don't expect to be making any blockbusters in this life...but if I ever win the lottery I'll bear the above in mind.

Steve House June 26th, 2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1163554)
Thanks Ty...as I'm only just learning about video and audio it looks like I made the right choice :) I don't expect to be making any blockbusters in this life...but if I ever win the lottery I'll bear the above in mind.

While Schoeps are in the stratosphere pricewise, you don't need to win the lotto to rent one for a project. I second Ty's suggestion, if only so you have the experience of working with one to establish a baseline for comparison as you select tools for your personal kit.

Ty Ford June 26th, 2009 06:51 AM

to add to Steve's thought.

About 10 years ago, the US distributor for Schoeps sent me a demo model of the cmc641, a mic used on boom and in music recording.

I plugged it it, put on some phones, and said, Test, test, test."

At that moment, my 30 years of professional audio experience changed.

My comment was, "FxxK! That's what a mic is supposed to sound like!"

Granted, I may have "special hearing", but if so, I'm not alone.

rent, get a pair of Sony MDR7506 headphones and hear for yourself.

There is a real reason the mic costs what it does and it is expected to go up in price again this year because of the bad US dollar.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Chad Johnson June 26th, 2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 1163773)
"FxxK! That's what a mic is supposed to sound like!"

Man that does look like a sweet mic. Some day....