Best way to record sounds of nature?? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Hi John, I have the AKG blueline series CK91/94 MS combination, they can be fitted with extension cables so the ball gag would be OK. However, its 170 quid for the extension cables, so even though I have one already I don't think I will save much by going down that route, though I suppose I wouldn't have to use the connbox... Rycote is the only option, is that confirmed? Cheers, Jon.
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM   #32
Inner Circle

The new Audio Technica BP4025 sounds very nice!

Listen: http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/ambi08.wav

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I've just purchased a Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo and Edirol R09HR recorder for doing the same type of thing...I'll let you know what it's like when I've tested it.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #34
Major Player

Go to a pet store or a zoo with a walk in aviary. You can get within a foot of all kinds of birds that way.

Or get some bird control netting (dirt cheap) and set up a tent trap. Then you can poke the suckers with the mic to get some sound out of them.
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Tried my R09HR/ME66 combo last night and it is very sensitive and records very well indeed. Although the birdsong was recorded very clear it also picked up traffic noise from a motorway nearly a mile away so I will retest over the weekend in a nature reserve. It was quite windy yesterday and the velour windshield didn't work too well so I've ordered a Rycote Softie to use instead. The recorder itself is great and with an even more directional mic it would be exceptional. There is also a bass roll off switch on the ME66 which I didn't have switched on last night, but it will be next time I test.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Dave,

The ME66 is a "student-grade" mic. I'm sure you'll get something with it, but were you to rent a Schoeps CMIT or Neumann RSM 191 against which to compare it, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Dave,

The ME66 is a "student-grade" mic. I'm sure you'll get something with it, but were you to rent a Schoeps CMIT or Neumann RSM 191 against which to compare it, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Thanks Ty...as I'm only just learning about video and audio it looks like I made the right choice :) I don't expect to be making any blockbusters in this life...but if I ever win the lottery I'll bear the above in mind.
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
Thanks Ty...as I'm only just learning about video and audio it looks like I made the right choice :) I don't expect to be making any blockbusters in this life...but if I ever win the lottery I'll bear the above in mind.
While Schoeps are in the stratosphere pricewise, you don't need to win the lotto to rent one for a project. I second Ty's suggestion, if only so you have the experience of working with one to establish a baseline for comparison as you select tools for your personal kit.
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #39
Inner Circle

to add to Steve's thought.

About 10 years ago, the US distributor for Schoeps sent me a demo model of the cmc641, a mic used on boom and in music recording.

I plugged it it, put on some phones, and said, Test, test, test."

At that moment, my 30 years of professional audio experience changed.

My comment was, "FxxK! That's what a mic is supposed to sound like!"

Granted, I may have "special hearing", but if so, I'm not alone.

rent, get a pair of Sony MDR7506 headphones and hear for yourself.

There is a real reason the mic costs what it does and it is expected to go up in price again this year because of the bad US dollar.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
"FxxK! That's what a mic is supposed to sound like!"

Man that does look like a sweet mic. Some day....
Chad Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio