EV-100, XLR-Pro, VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EV-100, XLR-Pro, VX2000

Hi,

Can anyone help me figure out why my reciever from my Evolution -100 wireless will work when plugged directly into the mic jack on the camera, but won't work when I try to run it through the 1/8" aux. input on the XLR-Pro? It's probably a simple answer, but one that eludes me.

Thank's,
Bob
Bob Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Me again,

I switched cables from the reciever to the camera. This time I used an xlr end into the xlr-pro. Works fine.

I guess it would still be nice to know the technicalities as to why the reciever will supply audio via the 1/8 directly in the camera mic input, but won't supply audio via the same 1/8 cable when plugged into the 1/8" input on the xlr-pro.

Phantom from camera issue?
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Trustee

It's probably a mismatch within the 1/8th inch connector in the XLR-Pro box. You'd have to determine through either testing or if the manual says it, what combination of stereo or mono 1/8th inch connectors the Senn and the XLR-Pro need to match up properly.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank's Jay,

Are 1/8" and 3.5mm the same? Or are they at least compatable?

Or are you mostly referring to the ring placement/configuration?

Anyone?
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #5
Trustee

You're correct, the dimensions are the same. (remember, 25.4mm per inch)

Yes, it's probably the way the two jacks are wired for "mono/stereo" with either tip and sleeve or tip, ring and sleeve. The other complication is that some of these aux connectors are wired oddly to mix in with XLR connector that they are associated with. In other words it isnt a truly separate input and this can cause phase cancellation if the cabling isn't exactly what it needs to be. I think it varies between BeachTek and your brand too so I think you'll have to experiment with matching it to your wireless output. Some wireless mini outputs can work automatically with either type of connection, some will cancel themselves to zero signal if it isn't right.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio