Beaser; Ebay'd Oktava 012 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Beaser; Ebay'd Oktava 012

Hi, I was snooping around this morning and came across this ebay auction
"Oktava MK012 Microphone mc012 not AKG Shure"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29950

38 available for $77 US each
" I have HAND MATCHED PAIRS available."

Now, I am really new to audio but from what i've read this means checking 2 capsules to sound the same?

The price makes me think that it's only the body of the mic and you would have to buy the capsule seperately. I checked out your test (Beaser) with the different mics and the Oktava sounded pretty darn amazing.

I have read people say that this mic can't be used as a regular shotgun mic...is this true? I'm hoping it's not :( I need an all around mic.

My friend and I are hoping to do a doc on the natives around Ontario and the land claims settlements...I guess you would sort of know the tribes eh beaser?

Anyways, i'd appreciate anyone *chiming* in ;)
Thanks.
Rob
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Several points
I'm no expert,but I really like the oktava hypercardoid in an interview situation.

These mics on ebay are cardoid (a hyper capsule will cost $65 US plus shipping from someone else no doubt) and if they are first quality, they would be a good deal.

Since this is ebay and i'm not a trusting sorta guy, I'd pass.

Lets do some math. you're in Toronto and you'd have to land these mic's from the US. If you bought 2 mics and had them shipped using UPS or fedex premium which includes brokerage that'd be $35 US. That works out to be approx $125 -130 canadian for each of 2 mics (depending on the credit card exchange rate). If you shipped them ground then UPS tack on $50 for brokerage.

The only source in the US for the individual hypercardoid capsules, seems to be The Sound Room and they are $65 plus shipping.

For around $160 - $175 Canadian you can buy a single capsule that is guaranteed by a local company. You may even be able to get a hypercardoid capsule as the included capsule and not the cardoid. The ones that are distributed by Malvern Audio are available in a matte black or the gun metal.

The kits with 3 capsules and a pad are under $300 Canadian.

Try giving Jason at AVR.ca a call
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Bryan

So, in all honesty you'd go with a Canadian company eh?
In the past, the best deals have always been from the states over...Henry's was charging $2499 for my lil consumer camera!

Okay can you give me some quick info because i'd have to make a decision sometime this week.
Hypercardoid - voice over, interview.
cardoid - wider, regular use?

I know there is tons of info around and I will search when I get a chance...you see i am supposed to be at the library right now studying philosophy and anthropology :S

Sorry to be a pain, but can you give me other costs?
- XLR to mini cable?
- shockmount?
- anything else?

If you have some links offhand that'd be really cool...I am trying to keep things REALLY cheap so if there is something that could be fabricated now, purchased later...that'd be great.

Thanks again for the speedy reply!
Rob
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Rob, is that the JVC camera that doesn't have a mic input?

Shockmount- covered here in many threads, the Sabra Som shockmount seems to be the best choice for Canadians.

XLR to mini cable won't work, since that mic needs phantom and maybe some pre-amplification.

All the accessories can/will cost more than the mic...
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Trustee

For a limited budget just try the Oktava hypercardoid first.

If you don't have phantom then look at the Rode NT3. It runs on phantom or a 9 volt battery. There again, do the math $152 US plus $35 shipping is $247 for one mic landed or $225 each if you buy 2. You can buy them in TO for $235 Canadian.

For mounts Glenn is right. Long and McQuade have the Sabra Som for $40 Canadian, the US price is $50 US. So far as 1/8 stereo to XLR, DVShop.ca has them. DVShop is on Dundas by High Park.

To our US friends.
For us to buy from the US is a real chore. Even though there is supposed to be free trade there is so much red tape involved , the costs for this extra red tape can be downright silly.

To mail an item the brokerage is only $5.

fedEx and UPS tack on $45 - $50 on a ground shipment but cover the brokerage on a premium service. go figure.

If the bank rate is published at lets say $1.30 canadian to buy 1 US dollar, the credit card companiews will tack on anything up to $.04. Thhhhhhhhhhhpppt! It really gets interesting.

The best way is to buy at home, that way you will have a warranty. Sony, canon, JVC, panasonic, Audio Technica and the rest require the products to be shipped bachk to the country of purchase.
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #6
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh :For us to buy from the US is a real chore. Even though there is supposed to be free trade there is so much red tape involved -->>>

Sad but true. We have a lot of dealings going both ways with Canadian companies. NAFTA was supposed to make this easier but it seems to have further complicated it. And now there is a new US anti-terrorism initiative known as C-TPAT which has the potential to further complicate international shipping. Sign of the times I guess...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Glenn, yes, it is. However, another 3000U used from another forum emailed me saying he's got everything worked out parts and all, just has to make a pretty version.

Nope, not phantom powered...but...thinking about it now...the JVC mic's are powered through the camcorder. What are the voltage req's for phantom? I know there is power coming through the info shoe, because you can also attach a light, or a photo flash...hmmm

Anyways, with that question in the air...I was hoping for the oktava...I could definately tell the difference in your tests. I know you'll explain that they were anything but scientific but it definately seems like the common word around this and the "other" forum that the Oktava is the best buy.

So far (assuming I can swing phantom)
Option A
$300 Oktava kit
$40 Sabra Som Shockmount
XLR to stereo mini-jack $15
$355 before tax

Option B
$175 Oktava w/hypercardoid
$40 Sabra Som Shockmount
$230 before tax

Option C
$235 Rode NT3
$40 Sabra Som Shockmount
$290 before tax
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #8
Trustee

No they weren't scientific. between myself, Matte Gettemeier and Dave Largent we sure did have fun. I shou;ld get permission to share their's as well.
A few of the clips had to be don't on the run so to speak. I went into a music store with my PMD670 and a cable for the NT3, Apex91 and a few others. The Oktava, NT1a,ME66, THE, AKG D230 were all done on a boom in my house. There are some i can't publish cuz of my wifes comments :)))))

You definetly won't get phantom from a camera mod. The Oktavas require 48 volt.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

so then, the absolute only way to get phantom would be to go buy myself a beachtek dxa-6 eh?

:(
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

No. You can buy other mixers, or a phantom power unit.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

(Still up...this is the only time I can do laundry in res :S)

Would you have any suggestions? I went on another Ebay hunt and prices ranged from 10-$249.

None but the beachtek seemed to have camera mounts or they needed AC power. Tips?

Thanks for all of your help guys...I'm learning a ton
Rob

EDIT: 1 more thing...I've been reading as much as I can and the Oktava keeps being referred to when used in the studio. I want to use this mic for shotgun use too! Is it too sensitive for outdoor/noisy environment use? Would the -10dB pad help?

And, for stereo sound, i'd need two...correct?

thanks a million guys!
Rob
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #12
Trustee

Look at the unit that Carlos Matinez has. he's even offering a discount to forum members.

http://www.preciseaudio.com/brochure.html

If you can get an input into your camera , then i'd go with the NT3. For the money you can''t go wrong.
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Bryan, can that unit screw onto the bottom of a cam?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #14
Trustee

No the precise audio unit will velcro onto a "bracket one" or can be clipped to your belt
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #15
Regular Crew

That looks very nice but also very expensive.
What are the drawbacks of buying a cheaper one off of ebay? Higher signal to noise ratio?

thanks again
Rob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio