A good stereo mic for PDX10? AT825? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Which Stereo is best for concerts?

So which one of these stereo microphones would be best for recording only concerts on a PD170. Whichever microphone I choose I will not be using it on the camera but instead will be using it on a microphone stand placed directly in front of the group. If I go stereo instead of two mono 81's microphones, I think I will be choosing between the AT825, Shure VP88 or the Rode NT-4. I am a bit concerned at the drop in signal to noise between the mono 81's and the VP88's. Which of these three Cardioid non shotgun mikes would give me the best results on my camera. It really is not of any concern to me that the Shure VP88 is twice as much as the Rode NT-4 if it would be best for my situation. I am also concerned with losing the highs if I chose the Rode NT-4. I sure wish I had the selection of microphones to choose from in the stereo department as I do when choosing mono cardioid's.

Also, would I need an amplifier with these microphones in order to cut down the gain in the PD170 to the suggested limit of 40 to 50 percent.
Dan Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #62
Trustee

Here'a a link to a comparison of some stereo mics.
AT825, NT4, a Sennheiser XY (may have been discontinued), and some others. Includes a comparison to a pricey Schoeps mic. It's a bit long, but some may find it interesting. It also goes into stereo recording theory and explains different recording techniques.

http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_sum/

And here's that Schoeps.

http://www.schoeps.de/E/cmxy.html
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #63
Trustee

Maybe next week - 835ST

I only have one sample so far on the 835ST and it has some pop in it because I was rushed in setup and had the XLR connector grounding on my tripod until I figured out what it was.

This weekend, I will be able to do another recording of Spirit from JSU, the DCI Division I drum and bugle corps. I don't have a site to host it from, but I should be able to forward it to someone to listen to.

One of the kids in Spirit has three 128kbps mp3s I did from WAV extracted out of an AVI (Liquid Edition -> Creative WaveLab -> MusicMatch). I do not know his bandwidth and he is at camp at the moment, so please be kind...

http://www.nicholsdotcom.com/spirit2004.html

This was in a room with a tile floor. The Doctor Beat is in at least one of the recordings. I forget (anything that says mp3 is blocked by our firewall, so I cannot check) if these were the one's that MusicMatch converted to mono or not (I fixed it later.)

I am using a VX2100 with a Beachtec DX8.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links Dave, I am conviced now to go with a Rode NT-4.

I am also convinced to go with a DAT recorder instead of buying a high quality secondary camera.

Any suggestions on a good DAT machine that will take the XLR connection from the NT-4 and work well with a PD170 and will also not run me 10,000 dollars.
Dan Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #65
Trustee

The NT4 comes with a 1/8" miniplug cable.
Were you planning on mounting the NT4 on a mic stand?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:04 AM   #66
Trustee

You know, I've been thinking about getting an AT825,
but I worry that I'm not going to be happy with it,
especially when I read posts like the one I've linked.
See, I already have the NT4, which can sound quite good,
and if the AT825 is a big step down .... I do like that it
shows good spacial locationing, which is probably due to
the 110 degree capsule placement.
Anyone here used both, who might step forward with their
thoughts?
A couple things I like about the AT are that it's easier to
camera mount, and it's cheaper. The NT4 is not light in
weight, and it's not small. I don't think any of those
rubber band shock mounts would hold it, especially if the
cam is tilted downward.
I have heard it said that the Rode is the best stereo mic
under $1000!

http://www.google.com/groups?q=at825...4ax.com&rnum=1
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio