rode ntg3 and oktava mk012 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Major Player

rode ntg3 and oktava mk012

So I'm trying to combine a ntg 3 for outdoors and mk012 for indoors for short films. I was wondering if anyone had any opinion about this combo... would the two work well in terms of compatible quality of sound, or would the ntg3 be much more superior to the point where one would notice a sound quality discrepancy moving from indoor scene to outdoor scene?

thanks
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

All other components being the same, I would anticipate no problems due to those mics. Indoors and outdoors are so different anyway.

I use AT 40 series shotguns and (Sound Room) Oktava without issue.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use NTG-2 and the MK012. There's a little finesse to blend the sounds, though I'm discovering there is no limit to the complexity of audio. They both sound great, and sound very credible together.
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Like Dana I use the NTG-2 and MK-012 and thinkg they are both great. I think they play together nicely. IF (!) we assume the NTG-3 has similar sound characteristics... you should be fine.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Major Player

what accessories do you use with the oktava? I hear it's very sensitive and needs some precautionary accessories.
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim View Post
what accessories do you use with the oktava? I hear it's very sensitive and needs some precautionary accessories.
Rycote - InVision Suspension (really cheap)

I'm using NTG3 and Oktava too - but I've found that NTG3 is usable in about every situation and the Oktava stays in the bag - that is I've never been recording in really tight rooms. Specially for novce boom ops the NTG3 is more forgiving.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for reply Toenis. I'm thinking for tight rooms, oktava would be better choice than the rode. Anyways, how is the ntg3? I hear it's amazing.

btw my favorite foreign film takes place in estonia... lilja 4 ever... very powerful sad film.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

"what accessories do you use with the oktava? I hear it's very sensitive and needs some precautionary accessories."

Yes, that's one of the the weak points of the Oktava 012. They are prone to handling and wind noise... Quality control is another issue, counterfeits aside.

They need a really good shock mount to attenuate the handling noise. However in "normal" indoors situations, a foam windscreen should suffice unless you whip it around.

The Rycote Softie system shock mount is pretty much useless with the 012 for boom work.
I would look for an elastic band type mount. Though I have not tried the newer Rycote InVision.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #9
Major Player

I agree with Rick... a slim rubber band type of suspension is best. The Mk-012 is a terrific interior hypercardiod, but it does pick up handling noise pretty easily.

As an interior mic... you really do not need any foam wind protection though I made one of of open cell foam for mine... but rarely use it.

ps. If you have not had your Oktava modded, do it.
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I agree with Rick... a slim rubber band type of suspension is best. The Mk-012 is a terrific interior hypercardiod, but it does pick up handling noise pretty easily.
No no no :), Rycote InVision is much better than any rubber band mount when used indoors and without full wind protection. I'd recommend that one that fits NTG3 too.

Amos, the NTG3 really is a terriffic mic. I had one with sub 300 serial number last summer that was faulty and it was replaced directly from Australia and it came back with S/N 2500.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Major Player

hey chris, what kind of mod, and where do I get it done? Toenis, I'm a newbie to sound, can you list all the accessories u would recommend to use the ntg3 and oktava? thanks for your help guys.
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The "Dorcey" modification
http://www.billsrecording.com/BSRS/Mod012.html I think Bill's sells the kit and service on e-bay too.

www.oktavamod.com (Micheal Jolly).
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Major Player

thanks rick
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Major Player

Bill's Recording service did mine....but the mod is more or less the same by either... I'd shop on pricepoint. I was quite pleased with the quick turnaround and responsiveness I got using Bill Sitler though.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Anyone know if the RODE SM3 Shockmount would hold the oktava?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio