Please, help! I need a very cheap shotgun mic! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please, help! I need a very cheap shotgun mic!

I can´t find any information about how the cheap shotgun microphones work. I´m not a pro, which means that I got no budget and no responsability to have PERFECT results. That´s why I need a mic no more than US$180, for interviews and very small indie productions.

My first question is about what kind of mic to pick. For a newbie like me, with no money, should I really get a shotgun? I want to use it for dialogues, interviews, to camera mount, etc. Can I mount it on a boom to get better results?

The second question is: stereo or mono? Am I wrong or there are no stereo shotgun mics under US$180? If I´m not, I have to get a mono one. For the purpose I talked before (dialogues, interview, camera mount), is it good?

Third (and last) question: what model do you recommend me? I saw some at BH site, like Sennheiser MKE300, Azden SGM 1X. They work well? Any other?

My camera is a Canon Optura 10

THANK YOU!!
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I just did a shoot where my 2nd camera man was using an ATR-55 and I am impressed with the sound and I beleive they are under $90 and plug right into the cam mic jack.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Who makes the ATR-55? i did a couple of searches and couldn't find it. I'm relatively new as you might have guessed. Never liked the term "Newbie."
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Audio-technica
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #5
New Boot

I just bought a Sennheiser MKE300 from B&H and I love it. It picks up perfectly wherever you point it. Sounds really good. The Audio guy at B&H recommended the Sennheiser MKE300 over the Azden, so that's what I got. Hope this helps, because I was in the same situation as you are.

Tyrone
Tyrone Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you all!! You were really very helpful. Anyway, I´ll make a new thread about what microphone to pick: if sennheiser mk300 or azden sgm-1x.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio