Is my Rode Videomic damaged? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Is my Rode Videomic damaged?

I decided to have my trusty Rode videomic rewired at a local audio shop. They replaced the mini-plug with an XLR connector. (I regret this already, and now know rode makes an adapter, but that at this point there is nothing to be done but work with what I have.)

As soon as I got it home, I tested it on my juiced link box, but forgot to turn off the phantom power.

When I realized this, I turned the phantom power off. The mic was powered on and hooked up with 48v phantom power for probably 2 minutes tops. Could I have damaged the microphone by running phantom power into the powered up mic?

When I got the mic working, it sounded muffled, not good at all. I imagine the xlr connector is either wired incorrectly or that the mic is damaged, or both.

Edit: I have found that damage to the microphone is not likely. It is probably wired incorrectly. I'm going to have a mini plug re-attached and hope that fixes it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 21st, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Disregard post.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio