In search of an AT803b replacement capsule at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #1
New Boot

In search of an AT803b replacement capsule

I've got a used AT803b lav mic (the one that's permanently attached to an AT8531) that needs a replacement capsule. I've searched high and low but can't seem to find anyone that carries just the screw-on mic capsule/module. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bruce Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Mitchell View Post
I've got a used AT803b lav mic (the one that's permanently attached to an AT8531) that needs a replacement capsule. I've searched high and low but can't seem to find anyone that carries just the screw-on mic capsule/module. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I believe the mic unplugs from the power module - don't have one but the AT site says the mic cable ends in a TA3F plug and the power module has a TB3M input connector. But be that as it may, I doubt you'll find a simple screw-on mic capsule. Why not send it in to Audio Technica for repair? Have you contacted them? Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : Service - U.S.A. - RETURN INSTRUCTIONS
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Steve. Although I have two others where the mic cable detaches from the power module with a TA3, this one has a permanently attached cable as you can see in the first pic.

Long story short, I got this setup used without testing it. As you can see in the second pic, after unscrewing the top screen I see the entire top capsule is missing. I unscrewed a capsule from one of my other mics and everything tests out fine so I'm just looking for the very top mic module. As you suggested, maybe I'll just contact AT and see how much one would be.
Attached Images

Bruce Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Must be an older model. I hope you got it for a good price, like for free. Missing the capsule is essentially missing the whole microphone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio